It is currently Sat 23 Jan 2021 04:56 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Does a loss of job (i.e. redundancy) mean loss of OHIP?

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Does a loss of job (i.e. redundancy) mean loss of OHIP?

Postby tigger » Wed 18 Feb 2009 00:47 GMT

Hello,

I have been told that I am to be made redundant (after only 9 months) and I am worried about all sorts of implications re my work permit but the one I worry most about is whether it instantly means I lose OHIP cover (I live in Ontario)... :?:

Does anyone know if that is the case and if I have a local doctor (and it took 8 months, an illness that is ongoing and luck to find one) do I lose him too??? :(

If I have procedure booked after my likely job loss (and didn't know at the time) will I have to cancel my procedure? (it is for a suspicious lump I have found - sorry to pour my personal details out...) :cry:

Thank you for your time.

Tigger
:compucoffee:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
tigger
Free member

Postby sawman » Wed 18 Feb 2009 01:29 GMT

I'm sorry to hear that tigger, you dont seem to be having a good time at all. I cant answer your query, but I am sure someone will be along in a minute who can.

Have you though about moving provinces, in manitoba your health benefits kick in right away, and apparently we are not as badly into recession as everywhere else so you might be able to find employment!

I hope things work themselves out for you soon

s
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sawman
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Wed 18 Feb 2009 16:18 GMT

Ok the things i do for people!!!!

Having PR i have nothing to lose and cannot be investigated so i phoned up and asked the question stating it was on behalf of a friend.

Answers:

1/ Unfortunately you lose OHIP Coverage with immediate effect as it is tied to the specific job linked to the permit.

2/ You have to get a new job and new work permit linked to that job before you lose your other job to keep OHIP running without any loss in coverage - otherwise if there is a gap in getting a job and permit then you have to reapply for OHIP.

3/ You keep your doctor if he wants you but you have to pay each time you see him - cost is up to individual doctor.

4/ Any prebooked medical op etc will be honoured but you will have to pay for it yourself.

Sorry so not good news, and then on top of that you have the other worries surrounding staying legally in the country. My heart goes out to you.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby tigger » Thu 19 Feb 2009 00:17 GMT

Carolinedraper
I don't know what to say other than a million thank you's for doing that and for probably doing something I am not in a good place to do right now. Please accept my heartfelt thanks. I don't know what I would do without expat site as it has just been invaluable.

I hadn't thought that if I lose my job then the OHIP has to start again. I'm guessing that then means a 90 day wait for coverage. I hadn't realised.

I did tell the employer today and they are going to see about what they can do to keep some kind of contract going and transfer me to another branch if at all possible so they are pulling out all the stops. I am hoping this means that OHIP can stay until PR status happens or something permanent comes along. I will tell them about having to find something first as that will help.

I owe you one large drink/box of chocolates - LMK when you wish to take delivery.
Posted by:
tigger
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Thu 19 Feb 2009 02:37 GMT

You owe me nothing, I hate to see people get stuffed through no fault of their own.

However if you ever fancy coming down our way for a visit feel free to drop in or stay over - farm life has a wonderful way of clearing the head.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Return to Health and medical matters