It is currently Sat 23 Jan 2021 04:06 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

MSP charging wrong amount

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

MSP charging wrong amount

Postby rupirupi » Tue 1 Feb 2011 03:06 GMT

Hello, this is a MSP question.

It is embarassing to write the earning here... But my husband and I have never earned more than $22,000 per year. BUT, according to the website of MSP, we've been earning more than $30,000 per year. We've been paying $109 every month!

I've called them so many times but they keep giving me different solutions and I am not sure which is correct.

- fax them notice of assessment(some says 2007, some says 2008...which is it?)
- keep paying till this year's next upcoming tax return and give them the newest 2010's assessment

I feel like I'm wasting my time on the phone...I've looked around MSP website but I couldn't find the informations I needed either.

We are falling behind on many bills and this is the biggest issue. What happens if we can't pay anymore? I'm pretty sure they'll cut our MSP coverage but is there going to some sort of punishment from government?

It seems I am not the only one who has this problem. 2 of my friends are having same problem too, just not as much as our payment. But they gets same treatments from MSP through phone calls...

Anyone else having same problem like mine?
Posted by:
rupirupi

Postby Graeme » Wed 2 Feb 2011 01:58 GMT

If you earn under $23,000 a year then you are entitled to premium assistance. Go to your local government agent's office and they should be able to sort this out for you at the counter. The MSP website isn't very informative and doesn't offer much help unfortunately. Even if you stop paying your MSP premiums the coverage will continue for 3 months then expire, so try to avoid doing this. As mentioned above go see your local government agent and they should be able to sort this out for you, take your tax returns for the past two or three years as well.
Good luck.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Health and medical matters