It is currently Wed 20 Nov 2019 11:34 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Home sickness

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Postby peter25 » Fri 6 Apr 2007 22:55 GMT

Oh Max, you've said the wrong thing... I am 100% Scottish and not English, and you know you should never call a Scots person English, my God, I had William Wallace sitting on my right shoulder shouting at me to make it known to this poor blighter!!! Only joking, but hey, I know what you are saying and I am very proud of my Heritage, despite actually having a father who is English, but we keep that bit quiet!!!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
peter25
Free member

Postby Max1944 » Sat 7 Apr 2007 14:56 GMT

Ah, the Scots, who keep the Sabbath, and anything else they can get their hands on.

Never been there, but after watching several TV Programmes, regret that I have not.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Max1944
Free member

Postby peter25 » Sun 8 Apr 2007 13:21 GMT

I am not even going to stoop so low as to give that comment a reply!!
Cheers mate!!! :evil:
Posted by:
peter25
Free member

Postby Max1944 » Sun 8 Apr 2007 16:11 GMT

I guess you haven't heard that England is a country of Self Made Men, which relieves God of a tremendous responsibility. :lol:
Posted by:
Max1944
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 12 Apr 2007 06:16 GMT

Michael, Max, or whatever you're calling yourself thse days - I'm getting very tired of you knotting up threads with your stupid comments. And I know I'm not alone in this.

If you want to make jokes about Scottish people, or anything else, there is the House of Fun, specifically for the purpose of joking. Why start slagging off the Scots on a thread about homesickness? :?

We Scots can take a joke, of course we can, see the HoF. But there is a time and place for everything and your arrogant comments are inappropriate here. You are sailing very close to the wind.

I won't mind in the least if you decide to haunt a forum run by English people rather than this one which is owned by a Scot (me).

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 12 Apr 2007 06:22 GMT

Going back to the topic of homesickness, I'm lucky in that I've never suffered from it. However, I have noticed that people sometimes get more patriotic the further they are from home. For example, the first Burns Night I ever attended was in Pakistan! :D

Does anyone else have similar tales to tell?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby deppfan64 » Thu 12 Apr 2007 11:01 GMT

Kay

What you said about Burns night etc is very true. We came over last august and have never really bothered with Guy Fawkes night back home. Sometimes we would buy the kids sparklers etc......however in November we were so upset at not being able to buy fireworks and celebrate it, that it seemed like the end of the world!!!!! However, our canadian family did build a bonfire for us.

They have suggested that when May 24 holiday comes around, that we stock up on fireworks for November 5th!!!

Mal
Posted by:
deppfan64
Free member

Postby Max1944 » Thu 12 Apr 2007 12:23 GMT

Kay, you are obviously devoid of any sense of humour, I am just repeating a very standard saying about the composition of the characters of the U.K, I did not write it, I repeated it.

Frankly, you are a pain ,so as of this date, this site can go on without my participation.

Dour Scot indeed, how about a Sour Scot.
Posted by:
Max1944
Free member

Postby jessica » Thu 12 Apr 2007 12:59 GMT

we get sparklers from the local party shop and celebrate Nov 5th - last year we invited ourselves round to a friend's house (they have a fire pit) and made a mini-guy to go in it. We had to google Guy Fawkes so that we knew all the history in order to explain it to our friends :lol: This year we have our own fire pit so we plan to throw a big party and do it as best as we can - minus the big fireworks as I think there's a local bye law forbidding them outside of "proper" celebrations.
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 12 Apr 2007 21:05 GMT

Here in Thailand they have fireworks for every occasion, even just a birthday party.

We also have three New Year celebrations - 1st January, the Chinese New Year in February, and Songkran (Thai New Year) in April.

How could you be homesick with so many parties going on? Seriously, it can get a little bit annoying sometimes because of the noise, but it's their country.

Do you find the celebrations in Canada to be fun and similar to some of our British ones or does it only serve to make the home sickness worse?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ellsie » Fri 13 Apr 2007 02:37 GMT

I find it interesting that many of the same things are celebrated but in a different way like Valentine's day here was for everyone and not just lovers. The kids in school were making paper hearts for all their friends and sharing friendship around which was lovely. I missed Guy Fawkes but got here just before Hallowe'en which was mad here! That was our kids first day of school and the next day they didn't recognise anyone!
We are 5 months in and I get homesick from time to time, mostly for my old friends :( Thank goodness for instant messaging! We are expecting lots of visitors this summer so I have that to look forward to.
Posted by:
ellsie
Free member

Postby jer&angie » Thu 26 Jul 2007 19:40 GMT

Hi Ellsie

We've just returned from a weekend in Tofino and then a night in Courtney. We were hoping to make it up to CR but didn't have the time unfortunately. I was amazed at the size of Courtney. Is CR similar? Lovely part of the Island and we'll definitely be visiting again. Hope all is going well for you. We've had visitors for the last 6 weeks, which has been great, but it'll be nice to get back into a routine! Got to go, we're going out for lunch. Again!!
Posted by:
jer&angie
Free member

Postby ellsie » Fri 27 Jul 2007 06:28 GMT

We have visitors now too. CR is different to Courtney. Lots of views here everywhere but shopping is poorer. More spread out too and less crowded. One day....
Posted by:
ellsie
Free member

Previous

Return to Decisions, decisions...