It is currently Wed 20 Nov 2019 11:14 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

We are just so confused....Please advise!

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

We are just so confused....Please advise!

Postby simbiantbeing » Sun 22 Apr 2007 12:23 GMT

Hi All.

My wife and I have applied for PNP and if all goes to plan, should be able to move to Nova Scotia within 18 months.

We really want to move to NS. Cheaper living, cleaner country, job opportunities abound compared to Scotland, a better place to bring up kids, a country that says "hang on we cant afford the commonwealth games....lets pull out" i.e. Common sense, where as here we rip off the people by taxing for something we cant afford.

But......We keep thinking....how can we leave our family?? We see family every weekend, and they are all approaching 60. My mother recently had a cancer scare, and it makes you think. It is the only thing that is putting doubts in our minds about doing this. I know you need to live for yourself but......

How has anyone else coped in this situation?

I keep saying we have video phones, emails, photos etc...but is that enough??

Please help us feel better about this or advise.

Thanks Everyone.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
simbiantbeing
Free member

Postby jessica » Sun 22 Apr 2007 14:14 GMT

It's really up to you isn't it?

Have you talked to your family about it? Have they voiced opinions?
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby justajester » Sun 22 Apr 2007 18:24 GMT

Try comparing the time it would take you to get there, not the distance... an 8 hour flight, compared to a 'how many hours' drive. Ultimately, as has been said, the choice is yours, but telling yourself you are only 8 hours away may make the decision easier for you to make. Within this country, many of us live 8 hours flight from our families, and it can be hard. You are right, though, vid-cams have made a big difference..I can actually see my grandchildren even though they live far away, and they can keep in touch with their dad visually even though he is in Afghanistan.

It is hard, yes... I often wonder how our ancesters did it. When they left, there was often no prospect of ever seeing family again. :(
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby simbiantbeing » Sun 22 Apr 2007 19:21 GMT

Thanks for that.

Your right justa. It is only a few hours away. We keep saying that to ourselves.

We have spoken to our families Jessica, quite a lot. On the whole they are supportive and can understand that it is for the sake of our future family we will start if we get there. But we still worry about them being so far away.

But i just worry about them. I guess everyone goes through it.

I just know that being in Colchester Co. will give our future kids more in the way of time with parents as we wont have a crippling mortgage to pay for, and other stupid UK taxes.

I guess only we can make the decision but I know in my head that its by the far the best option.

I guess its just the smae feeling most people trying for Canada go through.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
simbiantbeing
Free member

Postby maia » Tue 1 May 2007 09:57 GMT

i know how you feel... i'm an only child, and both parents are in their early 60s now. Healthwise they're okay, but not great. Thankfully they're happy for me to leave for a better quality of life, but I do have periods of guilt at leaving them behind..

it is true - you're not as far away as you think..there are so many flights going backwards and forwards across the atlantic - you could be home in no time should you need to be..

there is also the 'net - as well as the communication, you can buy things to be delivered to your family :)

all in all, look to the future and think about all that there is to be gained :wink:
Posted by:
maia
Free member

Family RE-Unification plan

Postby Canadian Citizen » Thu 3 May 2007 23:46 GMT

To the original poster...................

Once you are in Canada legally, you can Sponor your Mother or Dad, under the Family Re-Unification plan, so she /he can come to Canada to live, permanently. She/he would NOT have to meet the "points " criteria that you do.

This applies to your Mother and Father, but not adult brothers or sisters, and not Uncles or Aunts, or cousins.

Look into it.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Posted by:
Canadian Citizen
Free member

Re decisions decisions

Postby LucyH » Sat 5 May 2007 22:31 GMT

Hi I only just joined this forum as we too are looking to emigrate to Canada so sorry this comes a couple of weeks late.
I know just how you feel as I am not only going through it now but also went through it 10 years ago when my husband and I first emigrated to Canada.
We were in our 20's then and consequently my folks were younger too. We moved to Vancouver then onto one of the Gulf islands and completely fell in love with Canada. My mum was heartbroken that we were leaving but she did understand however the pressure mounted when we had our first child and that coupled with my husbands father dying suddenly, made us decide to return to the UK. I HAVE REGRETTED IT EVERSINCE!!!
Hence the consideration to return to Canada now despite my folks being much older now.
I guess it proves to me you have to live your life for yourselves. I look back at all the fantastic times we had together when our families visited and compare it to weekly visits we have now and the former is far superior. I think you treasure those times far more and you make more effort to share experiences together. I may see them every weekend now but we don't talk or have half the fun we did on those holidays in Canada together. I think its far more likely you end up taking each other for granted and listening to each others moans and groans than having fun.
Sorry to ramble but hope this gives you another viewpoint to consider.
Posted by:
LucyH
Free member

Postby simbiantbeing » Tue 8 May 2007 12:06 GMT

Thankyou for that. All of you. Peoples opinions on this are so important. we keep telling ourselves over and over that its the once in a lifetime opportunity and will probably regret it forever if we dont go.

We are going to have to be very selfish on this matter, to a point, as you are right. Live for yourselves - and our future kids.

All I can say is thank goodness for Zoom Airlines flying from Glasgow!

Thanks Canadian Citizen. That is a good piece of info too!
Posted by:
simbiantbeing
Free member

Postby jer&angie » Fri 1 Jun 2007 05:46 GMT

simbiantbeing, I think every one of us has gone through what your experiencing but it IS worth it. It is the hardest thing we've done but also the best. My kids are 11 and 14, we've been here nearly a year, and I just wish I was brought up here. The UK is a nice place to visit, this is a wonderful place to live. We kept telling ourselves "'I've got this chance, if it doesn't work out we can go back." Now, we don't want to go back. Go for it. You won't regret it. My wife is from Cumbernauld!
Posted by:
jer&angie
Free member

Postby ellsie » Sun 10 Jun 2007 03:11 GMT

Can't pm you. Cumbernauld is nothing to boast about My Dad is from Twechar
Posted by:
ellsie
Free member

Postby jer&angie » Thu 26 Jul 2007 19:41 GMT

You should go on youtube. They call it Scumbernauld!!
Posted by:
jer&angie
Free member

Postby ellsie » Fri 27 Jul 2007 06:25 GMT

If the cap fits ....
Posted by:
ellsie
Free member

Return to Decisions, decisions...