It is currently Fri 22 Nov 2019 07:16 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

mixed emotions - no going back!

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

mixed emotions - no going back!

Postby Lorry » Fri 29 Jun 2007 09:37 GMT

Hi all,

I'm sitting here on my computer, with just 1 week to go until the move to Nova Scotia!
It's my eldest daughters last day at school today, my youngest is continuing until next week. It's also hubby's last day at work - scary as he is now unemployed!
We have been so excited since receiving our 'YES', and Canada is all we've thought about since we applied 2 and a half years ago - that we haven't really thought about how our friends and family are feeling. I didn't think it was going to be this hard to say 'goodbye'.
We are just really hoping that we are doing the right thing for our family and our future.
We are leaving the UK for a variety of reasons, and I guess we have to keep that in mind as we say our goodbyes to everyone.
We are having a big party tomorrow night in a local hall, that will be fun, but emotional as that's the last time we'll be seeing a lot of people.

I just wanted to write down how I'm feeling, I'm probably not the only one whose had these feelings and I'm sure I won't be the last!

To all those about to get their visa's - Do not underestimate how much you have to do!
Start well in advance of your move date.
I have been running round like a headless chicken for the last few weeks.
Packing, tip runs, giving stuff away, selling stuff. Then theres all the phone calls you have to make, basically canceling your whole life so far.
We have been really run down and close to exhaustion, as you don't sleep much either, too much on your mind!
I can't wait to this phase is over, and we land on the other side!

The thing that keeps me going is the great new life we're hoping to make in Nova Scotia.

Good luck all :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 29 Jun 2007 12:00 GMT

This is when it really hits you eh?

We are leaving the UK for a variety of reasons, and I guess we have to keep that in mind as we say our goodbyes to everyone.

Yes :lol:

I hope the party goes well and I hope your journey over goes smoothly.
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby Lorry » Fri 29 Jun 2007 12:30 GMT

Hi Jessica, thanks for that. I hope it all runs smoothly too.

:D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Fri 29 Jun 2007 16:35 GMT

Yes it is hard, but remember that you are only 7 hrs away and Skype is amazing.

You have made lots of friends here in NS and never hesitate to ask for help once you are here.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Lorry » Fri 29 Jun 2007 17:07 GMT

Thank you Caroline. Iain and I are already planning a trip to Bear River to see you. :wink:
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby Lorry » Mon 2 Jul 2007 12:34 GMT

Hi all,

Thank you for all your kind reply's. These forums are a great help and comfort and I'm really grateful.

I can't wait to arrive and meet you all (well, the people in NS)

Good luck everyone

Lorraine :D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby simbiantbeing » Mon 2 Jul 2007 16:35 GMT

Good Luck Lorry.

Hopefully, we will be doing what you are doing very shortly!

Caroline is right. Skype is fantastic. We have been 'Training' the family on how to use it for when that letter hits the mat and we are on our way to NS.

Hopefully that will make things a little easier. But despite missing the family, it will be worth it.

All the best.

Simon.
Posted by:
simbiantbeing
Free member

Postby Lorry » Mon 2 Jul 2007 19:16 GMT

Hi Simon,

Yes, we have skype, a webcam, msn, etc...
It is fab and we will definately be glad to have it there.

Where are you hoping to end up in NS?
Any idea when you are going?

Take care and thanks

Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

ns

Postby wendy » Mon 2 Jul 2007 19:19 GMT

Hi Lorraine,

Hope your party night goes well, i'm sure there will be some tears, but they will soon go and your new life will start in NS. Where are you moving to in NS? Did you get jobs to come to? Let us know how you get on, keep in contact. If you need any help in NS let me know, you know we are in Fall river.
Wendy
Posted by:
wendy
Free member

Postby Lorry » Tue 3 Jul 2007 08:19 GMT

Hey Wendy,

U haven't been on here for a while, I was going to try and track you down soon.
How have you been?
Are your school clubs going well?

We are going to be looking around Fall River, Bedford and Sackville areas in NS. We will be staying in Halifax for the first month though until we find a house.

I can receive PM now, so you are welcome to do this and we'll exchange emails. We will have a laptop from day 1, so I will be contactable.

Regarding work, Iain is in contact with agencies and other various contacts. He is hoping to get a job soon after arrival.

See you next week!
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby Lorry » Tue 10 Jul 2007 22:52 GMT

Hi everyone.

Well, we have been here in Nova Scotia for 4 full days now, and we love it!
The people are so friendly and helpful, I think we've actually landed on another planet!
It's so easy to drive around here, there is not too much traffic, it is a pleasurable experience. 4 days ago, I had never driven on the other side, it is so easy to learn here.
The kids love it here, they love the Canadian lifestyle, the open spaces, the houses.
I know 4 days is not a long time, but I feel truly happy here and I'm glad to have been given the opportunity to come.

I recommend it.

Good luck all :D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby wendy » Wed 11 Jul 2007 13:43 GMT

Hi Lorraine,
Im glad your trip is going well, where have you seen so far? If your around fall river over this weekend let me know.
enjoy the rest of your trip.
Posted by:
wendy
Free member

Postby justajester » Fri 13 Jul 2007 19:24 GMT

Glad you're here...now if the weather would cooperate...
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Lorry » Sun 15 Jul 2007 19:31 GMT

Hi Justajester,

Well, it was great Friday and Saturday.

It guess that's all we could hope for :D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby l i s a » Sun 15 Jul 2007 21:12 GMT

Hi Lorry

Just wanted to say hi again. We spoke sometime ago about NS I think?

Also, congratulations on finally making it. We were in NS from 31st May for 3 weeks and will hopefully be going back soon - once our house here in the UK sells. We have a house under offer in Fall River so we can't wait to get back out there.

I'll keep looking out for your progress.

Lisa
Posted by:
l i s a
Free member

Next

Return to Decisions, decisions...