It is currently Sun 17 Nov 2019 13:02 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Medical Requested arrived - Now the legs have gone wobbly!

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Medical Requested arrived - Now the legs have gone wobbly!

Postby simbiantbeing » Wed 8 Aug 2007 14:34 GMT

We have just had our medical requested sent to us and now it has hit home that we could be about to leave all our family and friends........We still dont know what to do.

Move to Canada and have a huge house, lots of land, no mortgage, my wife being able to stay at home and raise our future children without the need for day care, our own business etc but no family close by......

Or...

Stay at home, live in a pokey 'detached' house costing £700 a month, working till we are 70, handing our kids to day care and being virtually skint, but having our family there.

Is it just me or does everyone else find this the toughest decision you'll ever!

I cant make this decision - its too hard!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
simbiantbeing
Free member

Postby peter25 » Wed 8 Aug 2007 16:06 GMT

Oh goodness... you are in a bit of a dilemma. We have been here 6 months and have just received our medical requests too but we are the opposite of you guys and cannot wait for it all to go through, but of course, we have made the decision already!!!
If it helps, when we were waiting for our work permit to arrive back in UK, I came very close to pulling out of the whole idea, a bad dose of cold feet!! For exactly the same reasons as yourselves, family etc. But, looking back I am so pleased I didn't, and you need to gain a little courage from somewhere to make the big step. I know what you are going through and the day we left is the hardest thing I have ever had to do, to say goodbye to my parents. It was terrible and arriving at the airport was even worse, it's a wonder they let me on the plane!!! Now we are here and 6 months later, I speak to my parents every day on the webcam which is so much better and cheaper than the phone and they arrive for three weeks next Saturday. Once you make the decision of going, I guarantee you will not regret it, it is a wonderful country and full of potential, opportunities and life!!! I can't promise I will stay here forever, but at least you can go back whenever, I somehow think I am going to be here for a long time though. I hope you agree to come over and see for yourselves... when arriving here, we made a pact - one year from then that we shall sit down and decide whether we are all happy to stay, at least that way, you can be honest with each other!!!
Good luck to you and take a deep breath and make the right decision for you and nobody else.
Gael
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
peter25
Free member

Postby Lorry » Wed 8 Aug 2007 21:26 GMT

Hi Simbiantbeing,

Where abouts in Canada are you looking to move?
It is a scary decision to make, to move to another country. When you first apply, you really want to do it and you're all excited and you know you're doing the right thing.
2 and a half years later, during which time your mind has been saying yes, no, yes, no, the time comes and you're very excited, but scared.
There is so much to do, cancelling your life to restart another.
It was a big decision for us because my 12 year old daughter would have to leave her dad and family in the UK. We had to decide if the pain and heartbreak she would feel would be worth it.
We decided that, hopefully, once we were here, she would realise what a great life she would have and why we chose to leave the UK.
Also, we would be leaving friends and family, and our whole lives.
We made the right decision. After a couple of upsetting days, she soon settled into her new life and totally loves it here. I think once she starts school and makes new friends, there will be no turning back. She talks to her dad and friends every day on MSN, so she doesn't feel like she misses them.
We also decided we would give it a year and see how we feel. But, we landed here and fell in love. It is great here and I would never go back.
The lifestyle is so relaxed, the people are friendly and helpful beyond belief, the driving here is such a pleasure. You don't really see kids hanging around at shops or parks. There is so much un-used land, so much space you can actually breath.
There is so much to do and see, we are in Nova Scotia, and there is the whole of Canada over there. Also, of course, America.
You have to make the decision, but I recommend you come and try it.

:D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby simbiantbeing » Thu 9 Aug 2007 08:37 GMT

Thanks everyone.

I think we are going to have a neighbours style 'family conference' when we return from holiday - our last european holiday probably! I know what our family will say....that we would be mad to turn this down after completeing this procedure in under 2 years.

We will be coming to Colchester County, NS....if we dont bottle it! I hope we meet lots of brits over there who have been through this. That should make it easier, plus as you say, the locals are so unbelievably nice!

We said that if we go through with this we do a 5 year plan and really make a go of it. If it fails, move back to the UK...but wait for a UK house price crash!

If you could only take your family with you!

have a good day everyone.

Si.
Posted by:
simbiantbeing
Free member

Postby Lorry » Thu 9 Aug 2007 11:30 GMT

Hi,

I'm glad you are gonna try it. After coming so far, it would be mad not to!

We made this move mainly for our kids. I did not want them to continue growing up in the UK. With my eldest nearly turning into her teens, I wanted out of that society.
Also, their future would be bleak in the UK. House prices are nuts and you have to be rich to get on the property ladder.
Also, for us to enjoy the rest of our lives.
You are lucky not to have children yet, your kids would be born and grow up here. I wish I had.

You will meet plenty of Brits here who have been through the same as you, but it's also great to mix in with the Canadians. I have met up with a couple of Brits who I've spoken to on this forum, they are great and love it here.

I don't know about it being your last holiday in Europe, we are planning many more there in the future, we love Europe.

Good luck, Lorraine :D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby maia » Thu 11 Oct 2007 11:02 GMT

aww...i know how you feel :)

i've just booked my medicals for next week and i'm feeling a curious mixture of excitement and nausea!

i applied back in early 2005, not knowing where i'd be in life by the time the yay or nay finally came through..

i've decided to just go ahead with the meds, pay the fees and then see how i feel... how about going over for a year or so? see how you settle in?

good luck, whatever you choose!

:wink:
Posted by:
maia
Free member

Return to Decisions, decisions...