It is currently Sun 17 Nov 2019 16:57 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Whats more important?

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Good country, no family or not so good country with family

Not so good country with Family
10%
Good country with no Family
90%

Total votes : 10

Whats more important?

Postby mek14 » Thu 20 Dec 2007 12:58 GMT

I've been wondering....

If i have kids in Canada, i feel that they will miss out on so much in terms of grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles; scottish culture; british culture etc

However if i move back home to Scotland to have my kids, i feel that they will miss out on growing up in a great country, where most people respect each other, and generallyhigh standard of living

From a childs point of view, and from that childs point of view when they become adults - what would be best for them? growing up with family in a not-so-great country, or growing up in a great country, with their parents being the only family members around?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mek14
Free member

Postby CanadianMom » Thu 20 Dec 2007 23:37 GMT

Hi there.
Just wondering, what about making an inlaw suite in your home(or planning for one) and have the grandparents come and stay part of the year- every year? I know folks who do that. I suppose it depends on rules for their pensions, or if indeed they still are working. Cousins can come for the summer, etc. More work for you but more pleasure too! On the whole most feedback from kids/teens tends to be very positive (all new and different-a chance to see North America).
I know people who do that for their elderly parentss from China for example. Get some health insurance and it can work out great. Also check the Canadian rules how long a visitor can remain in Canada. Although with the case above this was extended several times over for years. Just a thought. :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
CanadianMom
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 21 Dec 2007 02:45 GMT

I cna't answer this. I think it depends on your personal circumstances. I come from a family that's not close and spread out all over Europe. So for me, it wasn't part of the equation.

Sorry, no help :oops:
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby aiglee » Fri 21 Dec 2007 14:52 GMT

I also think it dependes on your circumstances.

As for me, we don't have family here either and everyone in my family decided that it was better for our kids to grow here and they will come visit, than to be back in Venezuela, but our country is going through a lot of difficult situations that are not your case.
Posted by:
aiglee
Free member

Postby simbiantbeing » Fri 28 Dec 2007 12:09 GMT

Hi there.

We have been going through the same thing. We only have my mum and sister close by and my wifes parents close by, but we also are sick of the UK.

I mean southern Scotland looks beautiful, but thats about the only 2 things going for it. I cant face our kids growing up in 'modern' Britain.

There are going to be alot of things we miss, but they are trivial things that hopefully we will get used to them.

Hopefully, we will have so many people wanting to visit we will need to take bookings!
Posted by:
simbiantbeing
Free member

Postby mek14 » Fri 28 Dec 2007 12:20 GMT

I do take bookings lol!

The problem is, that you use all your vacation time (and money) on people visiting, therefore never getting your own "family" time/vacations.

Its a tough call!
Posted by:
mek14
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 28 Dec 2007 13:04 GMT

I've never understood why visitors expect you to use your holiday to entertain them. They've come to see you surely. Why can't they piddle about in your neighbourhood, hire a car and go to Niagara Falls themselves, maybe even cook your dinner etc and then see you after work. Or schedule their visits so they cover as many weekends as possible.[/img]
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby peter25 » Fri 28 Dec 2007 13:49 GMT

Jessica, I sooo agree with you.
This year we had my sister and bruv in law over in April; my sis in law in May; then my parents over in Aug/Sep. Don't get me wrong I was thrilled to see them, but they do forget that we are not a taxi service, as they are not comfortable in driving over here, they take you out for a meal and you feel you need to reciprocate, so you take them out, so it gets quite costly in addition to making sure there is plenty of food in the house.... God, I am really beginning to sound like a typical Scots person, I am not mean, but I so get what Jessica is saying.... anyone else feel the same??
Posted by:
peter25
Free member

Return to Decisions, decisions...