It is currently Tue 19 Nov 2019 12:15 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Visiting England

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Visiting England

Postby jessica » Wed 16 Jan 2008 13:35 GMT

I've read here and there on the board about people who've gone back to the UK to visit and remembered why they left in the first place; how they coulnd't wait to get back here etc.

Can you be more specific about what you encountered in the UK to make you feel this?
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby onesweetday » Mon 21 Jan 2008 18:34 GMT

Hi Jesssica......... and all........... this is so easy. We went over to Vancouver Island in October 07. As expected we fell in love with it all. People, schools, areas, houses, beaches, the countryside and most of all the sense of freedom that I believe that my two boys will have out there. When we landed back at Gatwick, I wept (if you have been to Vancouver Airport, you'll understand!!!!). I just wanted to go back. There are soooo many cars and people in the UK. What really tipped me over the edge was going to Sainsbury the next day and watching people who seem so much in a rush and impatient. On Vancouver Island we found that everyone we came across had time to speak and hear of our story of moving over; we had quite a few email exchanges, advice, help, and direction. The Principal of the school where we hope our children will go to was so proud to show us his school. The children said good morning and were really polite. My eldest son cannot wait to go on a school bus, as the past year he has been nagging me to let him go to school on his own (which is less than a mile away - I have said No - but when we land in Vancouver Island I have promised him more freedom).

If it helps, and believe me I have had quite a few wobbles over the potential homesickness, and many tears have flowed, I have started to take pictures of the things in the UK that bug me and give me the strength to go forth and enjoy our new life..........
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
onesweetday
Free member

Postby CanadianMom » Mon 21 Jan 2008 21:55 GMT

I hope it all works out for you Jessica(and boys)!
I am in Ontario-close to Waterloo/Guelph. Happy here. But I always wondered about moving to BC. My childhood friend did so. She now lives in Mission and you should see the view out of her modest home's living room window! Wow! I am an artist so beauty is important to me...also pace of life. He works in Vancouver but has a long commute-they still barely could afford the entry level home(2 years ago- $500000).
I have driven to Vancouver from Ontario but never made it to the Island. I sent my hubby though when we were thinking of moving(student days-really broke!). Well he met my friend's friends and one of them (a beautiful older blonde in a little red convertible no less!!) asked if he wanted to ride with her and she would take him to Sooke to meet the whole family(he was rather mesmerized). No, no... NO romance-but everyone happily added this stranger into their lives. Their house had a main pole in the living room from a tree. Driftwood tables. Very hippy. He loved it. Everyone welcome.... But mainly what struck me(and him) was that when he got home he just was staring off into space for a week telling me how beautiful it was on the island and how he wished he had never come back -except for me(I being young, was rather miffed-like HELLO, anybody home??! LOL). He barely spoke. It was like he mentally wasn't here if you know what I mean....I have never seen him get like that and it is typical for most first timers I am told. BCers know that. He loved Vancouver island. Mainly it is the real estate costs and job opportunities that kept us here(1991). More trade jobs now out there but it is so expensive to get into the property market you lose whatever gains you made here in Ontario and then struggle.
Some people say the island isn't as rainy as Vancouver either.... I don't know.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
CanadianMom
Free member

Postby tracie107 » Wed 23 Jan 2008 20:56 GMT

Hi,

I agree with onesweetday - we too came out for a very short trip to have a look around meet my OH prospective employers etc. We feel in love with the place, I took so many photos that they are my constant reminders on my screensaver of what we are missing. The lakes, mountains, friendliness of everyone IMO Canada is how England was 30 years ago!

We also came back with more email addresses and phone nos. than we have in England. My son new school even allowed us to enrole him prior to January 08 as they said " we were such an exceptional case" and they wanted to help us settle quickly and without any problems! Meanwhile in England ............I still can't get my son into a school due to waiting lists!

Once we arrived back home I found it really hard to carry on as ususal. I know my son will be very happy in Canada and he is the reason why we are doing it! Furthermore, a better quality of life is what we need making the PULL stronger than the PUSH! :D
Posted by:
tracie107
Free member

Postby sawman » Tue 1 Apr 2008 02:01 GMT

I have had to go back to the uk on 2 occasion over the last few months. heres a list:
Traffic - the UK is so crowded, I nearly missed my plane home to winnipeg cos i was stuck on the M25.

Rudenes: people in the uk have little time for the simple politeness that I have got used to

the weather: having had a great (cold) winter in winnipeg, the air was so muggy in england and felt colder that it aught to

poor service: i had the misfortune to spend some time in hotels, truly dreadful experience compared to north american standards.

lager louts drunk on a roundabout at 6 in the evening.

i could go on!
Posted by:
sawman
Free member

Postby Lorry » Tue 1 Apr 2008 12:18 GMT

Hi all,

My hubby and daughter went to Scotland a couple of weeks ago to visit his parents - he couldn't wait to get back!
He said the traffic was awful, he nearly got run over on a pedestrian crossing!
The people were just rude and ignorant, they have no time for anyone!
The customer service is disgusting, well there basically is none!
Oh, and it rained 5 days out of 7!

Hubby also went back to Berkshire (where we lived in UK) to work a few months ago. He said the air quality was awful and it rained every day. He had awful headaches, just like he use to.

I'm going back for a week in August, and apart from seeing my friends, I'm dreading it!
The driving, the people, how busy it is!

Nova Scotia and Canada is definately where I want to be :D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby Alex Ram » Sun 6 Apr 2008 04:04 GMT

This is a post for Traci. I noticed you are moving to Kelowna (Great Move) We got here in Dec. '07 and are loving it. If you need anything or have any questions - Please contact me. Alex
Posted by:
Alex Ram
Free member

Postby Lorry » Mon 1 Sep 2008 13:00 GMT

Hi everyone,
I've just returned from the UK on a weeks visit (my first time back since leaving last July). I enjoyed my visit; I saw all my old friends and had a few good nights out. I enjoyed driving a manual car on the left side.

I didn't enjoy the traffic, standing still on the M4 for over an hour, for no apparent reason.
I didn't enjoy all the buildings, the overcrowded chaos.
Secondary schools closing down because they are so bad.
Housing estates popping up everywhere, junior schools being built, then where do the kids go?
Kids running around at 3am throwing stones at the taxi we drove home in.
People walking around with their heads down, no smiling faces. Courtesy and good manners, all but gone.

I spoke to quite a few people who felt that they were losing Britain, not able to celebrate traditions that have been around for years and years.
Everone seemed so miserable.

Well, I'm glad to be back in Canada, even in the rain!

:D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Return to Decisions, decisions...