It is currently Thu 14 Nov 2019 05:39 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Oh dear.....Wifes parents didn't take it well.

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

telling parents

Postby nickyash » Thu 3 Jul 2008 12:09 GMT

Top this one............. I just told my father that we applied two years ago and now have our Visas and will be emigrating later this year and he just said... Well - Have a nice life and then left as quickly as he could!

He recently got re-married to a woman 21 years his junior (he is 70) so go figure where his thoughts lie!
:roll:
:shock:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
nickyash
Free member

Postby HotPot » Mon 24 Nov 2008 10:43 GMT

I daren't tell my parents; I'm an only child (cue the "spoilt b***ard" comments :lol: ), and I've turned down jobs abroad in the past for the same reasons, but I'm 45 now and it's now or never. Trouble is, my parents are in their 80's, and I'm dreading telling them. Mrs is ok, her parents are in Spain, but if I stay here, I'll just turn into Victor Meldrew...that's if I don't kill someone first - this country really is the pits now. :(
Posted by:
HotPot

Postby nickyash » Tue 25 Nov 2008 07:22 GMT

Don't tell them until you have visa in passport and ready to go within six months is my advise (for what its worth).Why give them months or years of worry?
My partner is 'the only one' but they didnt take it too badly........although they have finally stopped the comments such as they wished they had more children so they could have had grandchildren/kids near to them etc etc

Ouch!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
nickyash
Free member

Postby maia » Wed 3 Dec 2008 21:01 GMT

Hotpot - another only child here :D .....thankfully (and to my surprise!) my parents were fairly supportive - unfortunately only a few months after landing my mum fell ill and I had to leave my job in Vancouver and return home.

It was frustrating (as well as worrying), but now that she's on the mend I'm turning my thoughts to heading back at some point next year. You're right - life's too short for 'what if's'...it's definitely a hard one, leaving parents behind, and I thought about it for years, feeling really guilty at 'abandoning' them... :?

Wish you all the best :)
Posted by:
maia
Free member

Previous

Return to Decisions, decisions...