It is currently Sun 17 Nov 2019 10:43 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

A bit scared about the move

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

A bit scared about the move

Postby nic&dave » Tue 22 Apr 2008 20:38 GMT

My husband and I have been talking about moving our family to Nova Scotia for absolutely ages, and he finally got to Halifax earlier this year and has subsequently received a job offer with a starting date in mid-July.

All of a sudden it just seems to be happening so fast, we now have only around 9 or 10 weeks (we'd like to be there at the start of July so we have a couple of weeks to house-hunt before he is off to work full-time) to sell our house, pack up our lives etc.

Perhaps I am just hormonal at the moment having just had our 4th child 10 days ago, but I am really nervous about going. Our other kids are 6, 4 and 2 so the two eldest will be going to school once we're there, there just seems to be SO much to think about/organise.

I am and always have been very keen on the move, I am hoping this current mood is maybe just down to nerves - I worry we are uprooting the kids and I guess I worry whether we will all settle into our new lives ok - it's also a bit daunting the prospect of being in a completely strange place, and once hubbie starts his job it'll just be me and the kids.

Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble, I just needed to get it off my chest and thought if I typed it out on the forum, someone might send me positive and optimistic vibes! I am sure everything will be fine in the long-run, I'm just feeling scared at the moment!

Nikki

P.S. One of my definite worries is the fact that I can't drive - while I intend to learn asap after we arrive, I think this is already making me feel a bit isolated, I am worried about how I will get the kids to school etc - from what i can gather, it's not like in the UK where the school will be within walking distance.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
nic&dave
Free member

Postby Lorry » Tue 22 Apr 2008 21:59 GMT

Hi Nikki,

Where abouts in NS are you moving to?

I understand how you feel, my family and I (hubby, and 2 girls age 13 and 5 years) moved over to NS last July. We too had planned a move to Canada for years and were really excited about getting accepted for permanent residence. The last few weeks in the UK were extremley busy and I was scared, nervous, excited, everything all at once.

We had never even been to NS before so had no idea what we were in for, we were just trusting peoples advice that it was a great place to live.

We were not disappointed. We landed here and drove to Halifax where we stayed for the first 5 weeks while house hunting.

We now live in Lower Sackville which we totally love. There is everything we need here for our family and we are just 30 minutes from both Halifax and Dartmouth.
The kids have settled into the Canadian lifestyle, as have we. The people are great, their is barely any traffic, and the crime rate is very low.

It does help to have a car, depending where you live, but the driving test is extremley easy and their are school buses for the kids if you live a bit further from school.

This is the best move we've ever made, for us and the kids, and I would never return to England.

Take care and good luck

:D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Wed 23 Apr 2008 00:21 GMT

See if you can buy / rent a house on the school bus route. Its a free service offered by all public schools in Canada. They pick the children up in a big yellow school bus (the old army things that are converted) and then take them to school and drop them right off. Normally its outside of the house but sometimes if there are already some children living within very close proximity they will ask for your children to walk to the bus stop that is already in use.

When I say bus stop I do not mean a "stop" like in the UK but a place on the pavement where the kids wait.

All our houses have always been on bus routes it makes life alot easier.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Alex Ram » Wed 23 Apr 2008 05:16 GMT

Hi Nikki,
I am really impressed that you can even write to the forum never mind think of emigrating. When my babies were 10 days old I was not of this world. I think with your kind of attitude you will make it anywhere. All the very best to you - I would love to know how you get on. Alex
Posted by:
Alex Ram
Free member

Postby nic&dave » Thu 24 Apr 2008 20:58 GMT

Thank you all so much for your great replies, I am feeling better about things at the moment!

Lorry, my husband's job is in Halifax and we are looking at the Fall River area plus surroundings just now, but it's hard to make a decision until we are there and can really have a good look around. I have never been to NS either (and hubbie has only been on that one trip in March), we are also taking a leap of faith and relying on the fact that others think it's a nice place to live. When we get there initially we have "borrowed" a house in Springhill which belongs to the parents of a friend, it is of course temporary until we can buy somewhere since it's a bit of a commute to Halifax.

Caroline, I am keen to use the school bus service and getting on a bus route will definitely be a factor when buying a house - I am just a bit apprehensive about putting them on a bus on their very first day to a strange school, especially the youngest who will be starting school for the very first time - I really want to be there with them at drop-off/pick-up times at least for the first few days until they get to know people a bit, do you know what I mean? Maybe I am too set in my UK ways.

And Alex, thanks for the vote of confidence, even with a very young baby and 3 other youngsters, I guess I have no choice but to just get on with it - after all, it's mainly for the kids that we want to make the move in the first place!

Nikki
Posted by:
nic&dave
Free member

Postby Lorry » Thu 24 Apr 2008 23:12 GMT

Hi Nikki,

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better about things now.
It is a very big move and a big desision to make, but it definately was the right one for my family and I, and I'm sure you will feel the same once you are here.
It is a very UK thing to not want your child to go on the School bus, but here it is a very natural thing to do. You pass kids at the bus stop, and some are very young. Kids walk home from school also from a young age.

Fall River is very nice, we looked at a few houses there, and in Bedford before falling in love with this house in Lower Sackville.

Keep in touch and I would be happy to meet with you when you arrive, if you like.

Take care :D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Fri 25 Apr 2008 02:26 GMT

Our eldest is 5 and he loves and I mean loves the school bus. We were here when he was 3 and he used to watch the school bus and say he wanted to go on, and cry....

Well when he had to start school he was so excited about the bus. We would wait with him at the stop for the bus to come and hug him and wave as he went. Then after a few weeks he did not want us to wait for him....

We have since moved and he has started a new school - new bus route - new driver and new friends. He is still excited about the bus and is still 5.

It gives them some grown up time!!!

Where we are now we legally have to wait with them for the bus and collect them from the stop (even if its on your driveway) until they are grade 4.

We got phoned up by the school for not collecting him even though I was at the top of the drive way waving at him and walking down to him. It did not count as I was not physically waiting in the correct place to pick him up.

I was nervous about the bus but in fairness when you see their faces light up its like watching Bart Simpson get on!!!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Buddyboy » Tue 27 May 2008 02:24 GMT

Nicki: Just a bit of information about school buses and their routes. School busing here is unlike anything you have experienced in the U.K. The buses are not converted anything. They are, in fact, purpose built to safely carry children, are well constructed, exceedingly safe vehicles operated by professional and specially trained and licensed drivers.

As for living on school bus routes, their organization may be dependent on where you live. However, the general rule is that wherever you live, if you are more than what amounts to walking distance from the school, your child will be collected by a school bus, usually at their door if you are on a rural road. In towns the pickup point may be designated as being at the end of your street or somewhere like that, but my point is you can choose where to buy your house with little concern about how your child will get to school. All such transport is totally free, paid for out of taxes.

Final point. Child safety in traveling to school is a very high priority here. When a school bus stops to collect a child all traffic must come to a stop in both directions. The fines are exceedingly heavy for any offence in relation to school buses, way above the already high fines for other traffic offences.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Return to Decisions, decisions...