It is currently Wed 20 Nov 2019 12:23 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Urgent advice required.

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Urgent advice required.

Postby scottishdave » Thu 8 May 2008 17:37 GMT

Ok I have just been offered the job in calgary and I really need some advice on what moving to a new country and starting again socially is like. I am a single guy, 26, pretty out going ( sorry if this sound like a dating website ad). Everyone else I seem to read about is going out with partners or family.
How hard is it to start a new, is calgary a good place for it.

PLEASE HELP!!! Have to make a decision by start of next week, all opinions welcome. :shock:
Posted by:
scottishdave

Postby jessica » Thu 8 May 2008 18:34 GMT

You'll be fine. It'll be a fun adventure. People will be interested in you because you've made such a big step, I'm sure you'll be invited out to lots of places; being single you'll have tons more opportunities to just get up and do stuff and go exploring than if you were with a family. All the usual stuff applies, think about your interests, join clubs etc

Of course, I can't say about people in Calgary, but I know about starting off in new places on your own. Go for it!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby peter25 » Fri 9 May 2008 00:59 GMT

Hi Fellow Scot....
I agree with Jessica.... what an exciting trip lies ahead of you. I moved out with my hubby and young son and to be honest, we have fallen out more times since coming here than we ever did back home.... Reason? I think it is because, at the start,once you arrive here you really have just each other until you get out and about and meet people you get on well with. His friends weren't always what I would go for or have anything in common with, ie through his work, and vice versa. So count yourself lucky you will only have yourself to think of. It will be tough but lots of fun... oh and the ladies are a sucker for a good Scottish accent, so I've seen when my hubby talks to them. You have a story to tell about why you left UK etc, so use it wisely and and you will charm the bees from the trees :wink: But you will be find, Canadians are very friendly and they all seem to have some sort of Celtic connection, so you have something in common straight away!!
Enjoy....
Gael
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
peter25
Free member

Postby scottishdave » Sat 10 May 2008 09:57 GMT

Thanks for the response, it all helps. :D The job offer would be good in this country never mind Canada so guess you can't turn these these oppertunities down.
Posted by:
scottishdave

Postby tigger » Thu 15 May 2008 10:54 GMT

Hi Scottish Dave,
You may have made your decision by now - but if you havn't yet - please go for it! Back in my 20's I graduated from Uni and took the plunge and moved to the USA for a few years - knowing noone and I didn't think I was very outgoing!
Now in my 30's and taking the plunge again but with a husband - there are some disadvantages (dare I say without risking divorce!!) - this time round I have someone to lean on but before I just had to be brave and get on with it! This time seems scarey whereas last time I just didn't care as much and went for it!
I didn't know a sole out there and left all families and friends behind - I had the most amazing experience and although eventually became homesick (lots of friends getting married off) and came back - I think being single and moving abroad is fab!
You make so many friends and so many folk look after you! Hey if you have a scottish accent as well you will be popular! I was once asked to recite a poem in a carpark just because I had an english accent!!!!!
Good luck and go for it!
Helen :wink:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
tigger
Free member

Postby tigger » Thu 15 May 2008 11:15 GMT

I thought of a ps...

You can always come back if things don't work out - nothing is forever and that was one piece of advice that makes me think, even now, that there is nothing wrong with that!

Hopefully you won't need to think that but it helps to just keep it in perspective - what you do is never permanent - if you don't want it to be!

Good luck

Helen (again!!!)
Posted by:
tigger
Free member

Return to Decisions, decisions...