It is currently Thu 14 Nov 2019 05:45 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

WAITED FOUR YEARS AND MOVING IN SIX WEEKS!!

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

WAITED FOUR YEARS AND MOVING IN SIX WEEKS!!

Postby Tasha » Fri 23 Jan 2009 09:54 GMT

Hi Everyone,

I must admit I have lurked around this site for about 3 years now, reading every post and every helpful comment that people have written. Myself, my husband and our 2 boys (ages 13 and 8) are finally moving to Calgary after the longest wait ever! We had all the pitfalls...from them losing our first application file, to them losing our deposit...to finally when it all went through, having to redo our police checks as the time limit on them had passed! Then, after landing officially in the May half-term, we came back to the UK to sell the house by August. Yup, you guessed it....we couldn't! Of course we had chosen the worst time to do so. But we have now decided to rent it out and are finally leaving in February. Woohooo!

I'm excited and terrified all at once. We don't have jobs (I'm a teacher and he works for EDF) and we haven't got the equity from the house. Are we crazy? We are going with SOME money and we also have wonderful friends in McKenzie Towne who have developed their basement for us. Would love to hear from anyone who was just as scared...especially financially. Hubby and I have a wonderful life here, but we feel it's important to experience a sense of adventure and another culture. We don't expect everything to be perfect, and are willing to work really hard to make a great life for ourselves and our kids in Calgary. I just want to get through the first 6 months!

I look forward to hearing responses and to hear from anyone who has just moved to Calgary or surrounding areas (have fallen in love with Okotoks).

Tash
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Tasha
Free member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu 22 Jan 2009 10:45 GMT

Postby Tasha » Fri 23 Jan 2009 09:56 GMT

Hi again, I just read my post and don't know why there is a smiley face where it was supposed to have the number eight!!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Tasha
Free member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu 22 Jan 2009 10:45 GMT

Postby jessica » Fri 23 Jan 2009 13:22 GMT

the 8 plus a ) makes a smily face!

Congratualations!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter
 
Posts: 1092
Joined: Tue 16 Mar 2004 19:34 GMT
Location: London, Ontario

Postby redsimmo » Mon 26 Jan 2009 23:20 GMT

Hi,
Please read my post in this section headed "should we, shouldn't we", we are in the same position as you guys so i really feel for you. We are having to rent our house too, in the hope that the house prices go up in a year or two to then give us a little equity.

What was your initial expiry date..? you say you 'landed' (i'm presuming you had your PR card sent to your friends house), came back to the uk, and are now going out in Feb for good...

I wish you all the luck in the world....

Regards

Simon Hunter
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
redsimmo
Free member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon 26 Jan 2009 22:54 GMT

Postby Tasha » Tue 27 Jan 2009 17:29 GMT

Hi Simon,

Thanks for replying...this all really is so nerve-wracking! Ok, I'll try and go about this in an organised fashion and reply to all your questions (I read your other post too).

1) We received our PR cards Christmas before last and had to land within a certain amount of time. As I'm a teacher we didn't want to leave until the summer holidays so we 'landed' during the May half term, with the thought of coming back, selling the house, and going in August to be ready for the next school year. So I resigned and everything!

2) Landing at said time was fine...they didn't even check for funds or anything. Just in case though, we had a letter from our estate agent to say how much our house was worth etc etc...but didn't need it. The landing process was over in about 20 minutes with lots of "Welcome to Canada" etc.

3) Our PR cards were then sent to our friends in Calgary who have sent them to us here, so no probs there.

4) We could have waited to go...wait for the housing market here to pick up, wait to save more money etc...but the fact is it's been a 4 year wait and who knows what's around the corner? I'm supply teaching and hating it, feeling really in limbo. Hubby is getting bored at work and I think it's all because we NEED to start our new life. Even our kids are wanting to get on with it. So we are just biting the bullet.

5) You mentioned in your other thread that you would be going with barely any funds and then you say '20K'. Is that dollars or pounds? Because we have borrowed 10K pounds from a friend and that's all we are going with. So watch this space! Now you see why we're scared?!

I hope that has covered everything. Also, if you have friends in Calgary, would it not be worth settling there for a month or two while you get yourselves sorted and then move on? Just a thought.

Keep in touch and let me know your thought processes!

Tash
xx
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Tasha
Free member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu 22 Jan 2009 10:45 GMT

Postby redsimmo » Wed 28 Jan 2009 17:53 GMT

Hey Tash,
Thank you so much for your reply. That answered my questions so well and it seems that we are on the right tracks. We are hoping to accumulate 20k pounds by whatever means possible, but i'm guessing it will be a little less than that in reality.

Have you both got jobs to go to?

The real problem with lack of funds comes from wanting to live in Kelowna, we have no friends there and my line of work is very limited there. Since my last post i have been talkin to my friends in Calgary (well Cochrane actually) and they have given us two options, 1) Their neighbours have a basement that they've converted into a self contained area which they rent out as a little business and they've offered us a place whenever we want it, or 2) My friends have actually offered for us to stay with them as long as we want..!!! but i'm really reluctant to do this as i dont wanna take liberties...
So.. I'm now thinkin it would be much more realistic for us to stay in Cochrane with them just to get our bearings and acquire all our necessary papers and things, Then look to move over to Kelowna once we've sorted work and stuff...

So.....Now we are thinking of going to Canada next month for a fact finding mission (and a couple of days snowboarding with my friend..lol) and to officially 'land', then come back to get the house on the market to see if it'll sell, but also get a rental company on board so we can hopefully look to emigrating in August.....

It would be really nice to stay in touch if you dont mind..?? My email address is simonh3@aol.com if you want to talk direct.....

Good luck....!!!!!!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
redsimmo
Free member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon 26 Jan 2009 22:54 GMT

Postby Tasha » Wed 28 Jan 2009 19:14 GMT

I know what you mean about staying with friends for ages. Our friends in Calgary have developed their basement for us but I still don't want to stay that long...for the sake of sanity, friendship, sanity...sanity...! :wink:
You must get in touch when you 'land'. Hopefully we'll be there and settled by then. Who knows?! Feel free to email me whenever at tashkamal@rocketmail.com.

We haven't got jobs to go to, although hubby has started applying from here. I'm a teacher so not sure what the need is in Alberta for them. I've heard it can be quite difficult. So fingers crossed! He is going two weeks before us to see if he can sort out some interviews etc and I can finish in the school I'm in here. Just booked his flight today! :shock:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Tasha
Free member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu 22 Jan 2009 10:45 GMT


Return to Decisions, decisions...