It is currently Fri 22 Nov 2019 07:44 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Should we?, Shouldn't we?

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Postby melandan2 » Thu 26 Feb 2009 21:48 GMT

Hi Sawman,

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware the property tax was so expensive - that definitely was one thing I was hoping to leave behind in the UK. We pay just short of £1500 for a 2 bd bungalow (and we have no street lights or wheelie bins!) I hoped Canada would be more reasonable.

We are hoping on living as near to town as we can afford, mainly so we can rely on our legs more than anything else.

What sort of money does medical insurance set you back? Can you buy 'family' insurance?

My poor little lads are both August babies so start at 'proper' school just after they turn 4. My eldest is in his 2nd year (3rd if you include preschool) and my youngest is due to start this September. I'm quite glad there isn't such emphasis on 'testing' out there as it all seems to have gone a bit mad here.

We have given all of the above postings a lot of thought the last few days and have been trying to sort out a timeline for ourselves. We had originally hoped to come out next Spring/Summer but with what we know now and the current 'economic instability' we have decided to hold off until Summer 2011 unless the 'perfect' job comes up in the meantime. Hopefully this will give us time to have some more realistic saving in the bank, possibly for the economy to improve etc etc (banking of course on the fact that we pass our medicals and actually get accepted that is!). Here's hoping!

Thanks again

Mel
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
melandan2
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 26 Feb 2009 23:42 GMT

Please ask your questions on the appropriate boards.

Property, medicals, schools, health care, etc. It helps others coming after who are looking for the same information.

Thanks.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby sawman » Thu 26 Feb 2009 23:59 GMT

Apologies for making the board untidy, but the OP had a variety of issues but all related to a decision! in fact integral to it

I'm sure that any untidyness was unintentional and I am sure the contributors didnt mind, and probably found it easier to answer multiple points in one post
respectfully

s
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sawman
Free member

Postby Dave » Fri 27 Feb 2009 11:11 GMT

I see what you're getting at, Sawman. But the substantive questions about how much medical insurance costs and whether "family" insurance is available would be better asked on the Health board. (If, indeed, they haven't already been asked and answered there. I'd be a bit surprised if they haven't.)

As Kay says, generic information of that kind is far more likely to be found by other users - and thus to be of more widespread benefit - if it's on the appropriate board, rather than buried in the middle of a topic about one person's decision.

I am sure the contributors didnt mind, and probably found it easier to answer multiple points in one post

Some may not mind, it's true. But several of the most active and helpful contributors on the various BE Fora have told us that it's tedious to be expected to repeat themselves over and over again by people who haven't taken the trouble to do a little bit of reading around. Keeping the points separate, and on the correct boards, helps avoid this.

By all means people should post here on the Decisions, decisions board if they need a bit of personal help in weighing up the various pros and cons. But the information boards are the place to ask questions looking for factual information.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby melandan2 » Sat 28 Feb 2009 22:38 GMT

Ooops! Sorry. I shall check out the appropriate boards.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. Much appreciated.

Mel
Posted by:
melandan2
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 28 Feb 2009 23:43 GMT

Thanks. Good luck with your plans. 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Lorry » Mon 2 Mar 2009 15:52 GMT

Hi melandan2,

I feel bad that we are all putting you off coming to Canada. I remember wanting to leave the UK so bad, we basically just wanted to get away, and if we didn't get PR for Canada, we would have gone to France or Italy.
You and the kids can have a better life here than in the UK, and your kids will grow up and probably appreciate the fact that they live here.
I definately feel safer walking around and I feel better letting my kids out to play.

That's not to say that there isn't problems here. Of course there are drugs and there is crime, people living on the streets and prostitution. kids get in to fights and cause some trouble.
There is a far smaller population here and so it makes it easier that people are not living on top of eachother.

I just think that people should definately come with alot of money in their pocket, or the confirmation of a good job offer. People should know all the facts before starting a new life anywhere in the World.

My 14 year old needs braces and we were just told they would cost us nearly $6000, I am hoping our insurance will cover most of this!
Just things like this you don't budget for before you move and it's free in the UK.

Good luck and take care :D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby melandan2 » Mon 2 Mar 2009 17:12 GMT

Hi Lorry,

Don't worry, no-one has put us off moving to Canada, but thankfully you have made us look a little closer before we leap headlong into it. There are so many things we are unaware/unsure of and we would always prefer the truth (no matter how brutal) if it meant we were even slightly more likely to succeed once we get out there.

We are aware it's going to be REALLY tough. We know no-one, we'll be first time buyers, EVERYTHING is going to be different and new but we also know that in one evening eating out in Canada at least 6 different families had talked to us and offered advice on different areas and schools etc, one guy climbed into the soft play area to rescue my sons socks when I had to take the other son to the loo, another lady overheard a conversation I was having with someone else about my hubbie being in IT and gave me her husbands business card as his work place was hiring and she suggested Dan submit his CV when we got back to the UK, the bigger kids in the soft play area helped my little one all the way to the top of the climbing frame and then back down again - they didn't just clamber over him or shove him out the way like here in the UK, people genuinely listened when we spoke to them and made us feel like we had a 'face'. In the UK we feel faceless. We have lived in our house for 6 years (we rent off family and would never in a million yrs be able to afford to live here otherwise - it was valued at £300 000 to knock it down!!!). In 6 years I could count on one hand the amount of times someone in our lane has spoken to us. When I drop my kids off at school no-one speaks to anyone else in the playground and people look worried if you try to start a conversation, they just seem to shuffle along with their heads down as if no-one else exists. And everything is soooo material I can't bear it! I know the area we live in doesn't help this but if we lived elsewhere you have the increased risk of crime. We just want to be somewhere where life is simpler, where there isn't such an obvious class system, where people are friendly.

So you see, still coming (if medicals go well), just slightly later then originally planned.

Mel x
Posted by:
melandan2
Free member

Postby Lorry » Mon 2 Mar 2009 18:33 GMT

Hi melandan2,

Good :D

I know what you mean. The thing we noticed and liked right away was the lack of class system here. When we were still in the UK, we spoke with the HSBC bank manager here in Halifax, she was very nice and said that if we are downtown in Halifax, to pop in and say hello!!! SHOCK!
Also, directors of companies take out their own garbage! OMG!
It is very refreshing that people do not see themselves as above everyone else.

People are friendly and helpful, we had a very nice welcome from our neighbours here and they were always happy to lend us things as we had to wait 6 weeks for our container.

Where abouts are you looking to move?
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby melandan2 » Mon 2 Mar 2009 20:59 GMT

Hi Lorry,

We are hoping to move to New Brunswick - not the most popular choice I know but we like it. We did look at Nova Scotia for a while and gave Wolfville and Kentville serious thought but decided against it as there just didn't seem to be enough job opportunities there for us. We were also concerned that unemployment was only going to increase in NS due to the influx of all us 'jolly foreigners'! We did spend a fantastic week in NS in October. The people were great and the tides impressive - our kids loved it. What made you decide on Nova Scotia?

Best get on - miles behind on my assignments - too much time thinking about Canada.

Hope the insurance covers the braces. If not maybe you could save money by encouraging your teenagers stroppy side, tell her smiling is over-rated and wonky teeth add character?!

Mel
Posted by:
melandan2
Free member

Postby Lorry » Tue 3 Mar 2009 12:57 GMT

Hi Mel,

Very funny about the braces and I wish we could just say that, but unfortunately I don't think she'll appreciate it when she grows up!

We originally were going to Ontario, that was always our dream. We went to an immigration fair in London while we were still waiting for our PR and started talking to people from the Maritimes. We met a good Realtor who answered all our questions via email and who we met when we came here to search for our house.
We were intrigued by NS and the great family friendliness that it offers. We researched thoughly by talking to people who live here and via the internet.
we knew the job market was small and we wouldn't earn as much as in the UK, but we wanted a better life for our kids so we took a chance.

Hubby got a job within our first week, it wasn't great pay but at least he would be working. We then bought our car, found a house and enrolled the kids into schools. Everything just kind of slotted into place and we had a run of really good luck.

The mistake we made was spending too much!
Until you live in a new place for a while, you really don't know what your outgoings will be and so your budget is approximate only.
We were spending money like we were in England, but only earning half what we did in England.

I definately recommend renting for a while so that you can have a good idea of what you're spending before you commit to a mortgage. That was a big mistake for us!

I wish you well for your new life. Please keep in touch when you arrive and let us know how you're doing.

Who know where we will be by then - Ontario, England or here if our situation improves.

Take care :D
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby melandan2 » Tue 3 Mar 2009 20:57 GMT

Hi Lorry,

Thank you and best of luck with everything. I really hope things sort for you all soon. I can't help thinking you'd be better off tightening your belts best you can and just riding it out if at all possible. The job market in the UK is not good and the high street looks like a ghost town. The only positive is house prices are dropping so you would possibly be able to get back on the housing ladder if you came back (or we might be able to get on it if we don't get accepted)!

Keep me posted as to how you're doing.

Take care and good luck with it - remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger in the long run!

Mel x
Posted by:
melandan2
Free member

Previous

Return to Decisions, decisions...