It is currently Tue 19 Nov 2019 16:28 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Are we mad to sell our house now

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Are we mad to sell our house now

Postby Fleur » Tue 21 Jul 2009 11:52 GMT

We applied via skilled worker in 2007 (AOR August 2007) and we are still waiting to get our 90 day letter etc.

We put our house on the market towards the end of last year and we have just accepted an offer on the house. The housing market is terrible where we live so we are very happy to have sold.

We keep telling ourselves that everything will be fine but we both worry that we are selling our house here without knowing for certain that we will get our visas. I guess the worst case scenario is that we don't get in and have to buy another house here.

We are also having to sell most of our stuff as we will be downsizing alot to live with family and save some money.

If we don't sell now we run the risk of being stuck with the house when and if the visas do come. Is there anyone else stuck in the same dilema?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Fleur
Free member

Postby anon7656 » Tue 21 Jul 2009 12:33 GMT

You could always rent it out for a while, then go back to selling once the market picks up(this is what we plan to do)

However as you have an offer you could just pocket the cash and be done with it....yes you could look back in 18-24 months and think what if we held on but thats always going to be the case.

Its a tricky one(also selling up straight away means if things go wrong you have to buy again if you move back....maybe when the market is up again)...its a catch 22!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
anon7656
Supporter

Postby Lorry » Tue 21 Jul 2009 18:15 GMT

Hi Fleur,

My family and I (2 kids) were at this point about 3 years ago and it is a tough one.
We applied for our PR and put our house on the market straight away. We sold within the first month which was really lucky (so we thought).
we didn't realise it would take so long to receive our PR.
We found a house to rent close to where we lived and stayed there for 1 year. The tenants then wanted their house back and we still hadn't received PR, so we had to move again into another rental for another year.
It was quite stressful, but at the end of the day, we didn't want a house to sell once our visas came through, with the risk of waiting months. We wanted a clean break from England and to release our equity, so we didn't want to rent our house out.
So, when our PR finally came through, we gave 2 months notice on the rental, quit our jobs and booked our flights! :D
No going back!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 21 Jul 2009 21:16 GMT

The whole process can be a nightmare. You can't know what's best to do unless you can read into the future. The uncertainty is just hellish. We wrote about our personal nightmare on our Trashed House website.

I can't give advice other than to say I know how awful it can be because you're not in control of what's happening in your own life. You just have to go along with it all and hope it all works out in the end.

Best of luck to you!
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Alicat » Thu 23 Jul 2009 12:25 GMT

Fleur,

Our situation is the complete opposite...........................

We have just had our passports requested but still have a house to sell!

We were so concerned that we wouldn't get accepted that we delayed putting the house on the market and now we are stuck with it. It is very flustrating to be legally able to go to Canada very soon, but unable to as our funds are all tied up in the house.

So my advice - take the money and run!!!!!

Remember if you really have your heart set on your dream you will find a way!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Alison
Posted by:
Alicat
Free member

Postby Jeffnanne » Thu 23 Jul 2009 14:00 GMT

We sent off our applications, then decided to sell our house a few months after!
We sold just before the housing crash! We were told it was coming, so got shot of it while we could get a good price.

Since then we have lived in a small rented house. It really did not bother us downsizing. Oh, and we were paying £1900 a month mortgage!! It was a lovely feeling getting rid of that!

Now we have bought a great house in Canada.
Posted by:
Jeffnanne
Free member

Postby PaulR » Thu 23 Jul 2009 21:24 GMT

I was following trackitt to work out when would be the right time to put the house on the market.

Our house sale has all fallen in nicely as we've just had our medicals and we're completing on (touch wood) the 10th of August. My advice is to get rid of your property when you can, a house is a great big anchor to have when get your PR status.
Posted by:
PaulR
Free member

Postby Fleur » Thu 13 Aug 2009 19:37 GMT

Thank you everyone. Its nice to know you don't think we're completely mad.

We have exchanged contracts this week and completing on the house in 3 weeks time. Jsut as well really as we've sold most of our furniture!

We have also today received our 120 day letter! We are so excited. I know we still have the whole process and medicals to go through but atleast things have started!
Posted by:
Fleur
Free member

Postby Lorry » Thu 13 Aug 2009 21:50 GMT

WOOHOO!!!
Posted by:
Lorry
Free member

Return to Decisions, decisions...