It is currently Thu 21 Nov 2019 01:25 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

can you live on $700 a week!!

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

can a family live on $700 aweek

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes : 4

can you live on $700 a week!!

Postby gazanjuls » Fri 14 Aug 2009 08:35 GMT

hi can anybody help us make our minds up we are having douts .can a family of 2 adults and 2 young kids live on $700 aweek when we first land and untill we get sorted out hope fully we will not have a mortgage and a car loan so it just general living week to week we will have money inthe bank. we are thinking about moving to ontario within an hour of toronto
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
gazanjuls
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 14 Aug 2009 19:34 GMT

We certainly think you can. You'll only be able to eat out twice a week though ;)
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby gazanjuls » Fri 14 Aug 2009 19:50 GMT

[Quote deleted]

is that posh or mcdonalds?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
gazanjuls
Free member

Postby jessica » Sat 15 Aug 2009 01:27 GMT

:lol:

in-between. I boycott McD and don't do posh!
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby carolinedraper » Sat 15 Aug 2009 22:02 GMT

Wow I would love to have that amount to spend a week.

We have 3 kids and loads of animals to feed and our food bill including animal feed is $1000 a month (that is everything other than utilities)

Our utilities are elec @ $160 month
Phone and tv combo @ $195 a month

If we eat out then it comes out of our food budget which means if we have to scrimp and semi starve then we do. Its all about priorities.

For us it is hard as we buy only organic food. We also grow a lot of our own. I earn $500 a month and hubby is variable from $1500 to 2000 a month. We are both self employed. Plus we have to send money back to the UK to pay off our Egg Loan. Plus we have a line of credit and a visa card out here. (Start up buisness money has to come from somewhere.)

Hope that helps.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby gazanjuls » Sun 16 Aug 2009 17:47 GMT

Edit: quote deleted - there's no need to quote the previous posting in its entirety. We've already read it and it's tedious to have to scroll through it again for no good reason. Please read the guidelines. They are in the board marked IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING ANYWHERE, which is near the top of the forum.]

has it all been worth it? we have to get all our docs in befor nov so it can be processed .be we keep having the odd dout about if we are doing the right thing! we have a stable and good life style here inthe uk but i dont want my kids growing up in this s..t hole of a country .
Posted by:
gazanjuls
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Mon 17 Aug 2009 01:30 GMT

Totally worth it. We have owned two houses over here, one in NS and now our farm in ON. Both bought with cash. Can you imagine being mortgage free at 33 years in the UK????????..........

The reason for our tight strict budget is the cost of hubbies start up. His telescopic pole alone cost near $30,000 and he has two of them, plus all his high end cameras etc and we had Geo thermal put in. Plus as we have a farm we needed tractors etc.

However we now save, if we have not got it in cash then we do not spend it, this is a new concept to us as in the UK Steven's old job used to allow us to pay our way out of any debt. That is not the case now, so unless we need it we do not get it.

But our overall quality of life is much much better. And in 3 years when the tractor and truck are paid off then we will be $3000 up a month in our budget.

Its all down to priorities.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Jeffnanne » Thu 20 Aug 2009 11:29 GMT

Telescopic poles and high end cameras? Tell me more! Is he a spy? Or is he like me, in the photographic world?

What part of Ontario are you?

Back on thread... It seems like the view is you can manage it! We all have those, Am I doing the right thing or not. We are giving up a lot here in the UK, a hell of a lot! But we are still excited, and scared. My kids have grown up in the UK,,, They are stable enough boys now 25 and 20.

But I would love to see my grandchildren grow up in Canada!

Best of luck with it all... I will keep you posted with my wife's teaching career in Canada, if she stays in teaching! :shock:

Jeff
Posted by:
Jeffnanne
Free member

Postby Jeffnanne » Thu 20 Aug 2009 16:28 GMT

Thanks for the PM..... That is very strange..... Guess what my career has been for the past 32 years! I can't PM for some reason. Not allowed.

Would love to get in touch though!

PS I emailed you.

Jeff
Posted by:
Jeffnanne
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 22 Aug 2009 17:00 GMT

I can't PM for some reason.

The PM privilege is generally only available to people who support this forum. If you have problems you can try the FAQ board on our main forum.

Here's a direct link for your convenience:
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... m.php?f=31

The information is also contained in the board near the top - the one entitled IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Jeffnanne » Mon 24 Aug 2009 09:16 GMT

Thanks Kay. It's not a problem. I managed to get in touch with Caroline.
Posted by:
Jeffnanne
Free member

Return to Decisions, decisions...