It is currently Fri 22 Nov 2019 06:54 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Should we go back for the 2nd time?

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Should we go back for the 2nd time?

Postby jan45 » Fri 15 Jan 2010 13:34 GMT

Oh dear after coming back from Canada 3 years ago, hubby and I are debating to go back or not. He cannot get a job here in scotland and is homesick. I met him when i stayed in canada for 4 years and he fancied the idea of coming to live in scotland so we packed up and came back. we dont have savings etc so if we go back we would be staying with his dad until we get jobs etc. The problem i have is just that. leaving our own place with all our furniture etc. we have a council house here which is secure etc. it would mean starting again from scratch and we dont have money for furniture etc. our plane tickets and 2 suitcases and that would be it. my kids are all grown up in scotland so they all say to do what I want but deciding to go back or stay is making me stressed. Hubby thinks in the long haul, we would be better off in Canada. we cant keep moving back and forth and I am tired of starting over. we are both 44.
can anyone help us. thanks
Posted by:
jan45

Postby mprezza700 » Fri 24 Dec 2010 07:39 GMT

Hi Jan,

I live in Canada for 9 years. I say stay in Scotland!

Mprezza
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mprezza700
Free member

Postby anon7656 » Sun 26 Dec 2010 18:47 GMT

mprezza700 I have seen various posts by you on the 24th that all pretty much follow the same theme.....does anyone have anything negative to say about Canada and telling anyone who would listen(read) to stay in the UK.

Couple of questions/observations. Have you ever liked in the UK? Were did you move from to Canada?

Every country has negatives, to pick holes for the sake of it on an immigration forum seems a little bizarre. No one truly thinks that moving country is a silver bullet to all their problems, but it is a chance to see who another country may suit.

Your theme of going through and telling everyone to stay in the UK while you have lived in Canada 9 years and don't give a hint of why you have not yourself moved if you dislike it so much is baffling.

Each to their own but I do wonder what your point is??
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
anon7656
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sun 26 Dec 2010 20:07 GMT

Hear, hear! Well said, Rab. :)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon 27 Dec 2010 19:31 GMT

I agree, Mprezza is a depressing read. Canada is a great place to live, but you need to make the effort. It isn't a free ride and it's unfortunate that some people don't make the effort then decry the country whilst not looking inwards.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Buddyboy » Thu 30 Dec 2010 19:40 GMT

Jan45: You don't say where you would be moving back to, what your lines of work are or what specifics you might find here in Canada that you don't find in Scotland. That would help see your point of view a little better.

And I agree totally with Rab's comments.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Return to Decisions, decisions...