It is currently Fri 15 Nov 2019 07:50 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Decision time-Advice?

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Decision time-Advice?

Postby UniGirl » Thu 22 Apr 2010 19:08 GMT

I am 21 years old, and my parents are currently living in Brantford, ON. Been over quite a few times, I like it, but it's not somewhere I feel I could live. not my kind of town (not much nightlife, seeming lack of people my age etc). Just got PR, so apparantly I have to live in CA for 2 years out of every 5?

About to graduate with a 1st (hopefully!!) in Tourism and Leisure Management, but hear UK education doesn't count in the canadian job market? It would be a waste if this is true, but decision time will be coming up soon and it's so confusing what to think. Feel like I should take the plunge whilst still single and not tied down to a boyfriend but equally don't want my degree to count for nothing and live in a town where I don't believe I'll have much of a social life... (would never be able to rent, if parents were still in UK, would be moving back in with them, so same in CA!)

Anyone welcome to provide me with some good, general advice concerning UK degrees in Canada, anyone working in the Tourism industry and just all-round advice you think may help!

hope this is the right place for this post! :D

cheers guys x
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
UniGirl
Free member

Postby UniGirl » Thu 22 Apr 2010 19:27 GMT

p.s

also very disillusioned with the UK. If anyone is following the election debacle from over there, you can see why. bit of a no win situation?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
UniGirl
Free member

Re: Decision time-Advice?

Postby jessica » Thu 22 Apr 2010 22:54 GMT

UniGirl wrote: Feel like I should take the plunge whilst still single and not tied down to a boyfriend but equally don't want my degree to count for nothing and live in a town where I don't believe I'll have much of a social life...

None of my business really but looking back to my youth where I was too tied down, I say to you - just come over here and travel while you can, go home to your parents every now and then, find a job in Whistler or somewhere exciting and relevent to your degree and see what happens. You've plenty of time to make your degree count, right now, earn what you need to get by and get to know what you really want to do. Also, spending time doing this, spending time volunteering REALLY counts in the Canadian job market.
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby Buddyboy » Fri 23 Apr 2010 15:18 GMT

I can echo Jessica's comments. You have your degree and it will never be lost on you. You are only young once. Take the plunge and make the move. Good luck.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby alexfiona » Fri 23 Apr 2010 20:55 GMT

I honestly don't think your degree will count for nothing. I'm a teacher and my husband's a prof at the U of Alberta and our degrees count. You may have to do a specific requirement for Canada but your degree should convert. My hubby has a 1st in nursing and a Phd but still had to sit a 4th year exam that is Canada wide to get his position ratified. A pain but well worth sucking up! I have to do a course in Canadian history for my qualification to count. You should contact some colleges like NAIT (northern alberta institute of technology) where you do travel and tourism degrees (sorry don't know the equivilant for Ontario) and ask about your specific degree. Or contact big hotel groups and see about a job- Canada's a big country and it would be a shame to let your PR go to waste!
Posted by:
alexfiona
Free member

Postby UniGirl » Thu 6 May 2010 11:42 GMT

ahh thank you all, it's really appreciated! I would love to work somewhere like Whistler as I have experience in the snow resort field. Does anyone know how to find out more about this?

I definatley don't want to waste my PR as my parents have gone through hell and high waters to get it, as i'm sure most people on here have!

Thanks again!!
Posted by:
UniGirl
Free member

Postby mprezza700 » Fri 24 Dec 2010 07:36 GMT

Hi UniGirl,

Opened your thread to find out that we are around the same age and in the same profession! Excited to find out that you are doing tourism too. I am a Russian living in Canada for 9 years and finishing up my diploma in Hospitality Management. There's lots to talk about - PM or email me! :-)

Mprezza
Posted by:
mprezza700
Free member

Postby Graeme » Fri 24 Dec 2010 16:16 GMT

NOTE: This is a stock reply - please read it as it contains the solution to your issue. Thanks - The BE Team

Lots of people ask us about the PM system. The privilege is only available to premium members, and has nothing to do with post counts or anything else.

If you would like to upgrade to premium membership and enjoy more benefits of membership, please visit our subscription page:
http://britishexpat.com/subscribe/
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Decisions, decisions...