It is currently Wed 20 Nov 2019 03:36 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

moving from britain to canada with teenager

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

moving from britain to canada with teenager

Postby melwaite » Sat 22 Jan 2011 17:02 GMT

Hi everyone, my husband has been offered a job in halifax and we are contemplating the move. i have 3 children and my youngest 2 are excited but my teenage daughter who is 14 is devastated as she doesn't want to leave school, friends and boyfriend. has anyone experienced something similar? i would love to hear from anyone who has and how their teens have settled in, i tried posting on another expat forum but no one has replied. please if anyone can help, write back as i would love some positive stories to set my daughters mind at rest.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
melwaite
Free member

Postby Graeme » Sat 22 Jan 2011 17:31 GMT

Welcome to the forum melwaite, I believe that there have been a few stories like this on the forum already and you might be able to just search for them using the search field. Hopefully someone will reply with a more up to date story. I know this is heartbreaking for your 14 year old as this changes their whole life, which at 14 is more about the immediate social network than anything else. Has your daughter been to Halifax before and seen what the place is like (sometimes fear of the unknown is the main detractor for a place)? Life in Canada is certainly different to that in the UK, but generally the teenagers are the same in both places, I'm sure she'll settle in and before you know it she'll be loving it.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby saffy » Sat 12 Feb 2011 01:45 GMT

We moved to Victoria last June with our 14 year old daughter. She also was devastated to be leaving her friends and initially didn't want to leave. The first couple of weeks of school were difficult for her and I was worried we had made a huge mistake, but she soon settled in. She joined the school rowing team and instantly made friends. She now loves it here, she has made lots of friends and is really enjoying school. She keeps in touch with her friends through facebook and skype and they love hearing about Canada and what she is doing (there are a lot of opportunities here that weren't available to her in England). I say go for it, kids are quickly adaptable and if they don't settle there is always the choice to go back.
Posted by:
saffy

Postby melwaite » Sat 12 Feb 2011 02:09 GMT

thanks for your reply it is comforting to know that others have had the same difficulties deep down i think she will be fine but a small part of me thinks what if shes right, what if she really hates it because she appears really outgoing and confident but shes not and hates making new friends i think school is the scariest thing to her and she has a boyfriend now which i keep hoping it will fizzle out but there doesn't appear to be any signs of it lol. We are not allowed to mention canada in our house at the minute its a taboo subject.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
melwaite
Free member

Postby Dave » Sat 12 Feb 2011 17:22 GMT

I've shifted this from the "Moving to Canada" board because the subject matter isn't about the practicalities of moving (shipping and such like), and this board seemed the best place for it.

Hope things get sorted out for you, anyway. ;-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby melwaite » Sun 13 Feb 2011 02:59 GMT

Sorry to have offended you dave i will not bother to post any more as i dont wish to upset anyone by replying to other users posts or writing in paragraphs that are too long im also sorry for putting my question in the wrong topic i will stick to forums that are less rigid in future
Posted by:
melwaite
Free member

Postby Dave » Sun 13 Feb 2011 05:45 GMT

I'm not offended. 8-) But I and the other site admins and moderators would far rather not have to spend time running round after people enforcing the rules - there are plenty of more productive and enjoyable uses for our time.

We don't create rules for the fun of it - the purpose is to ensure that the forum contains good quality information that's readily accessible. If you're willing to spend the small amount of extra time and thought to do things the right way, then everyone benefits. If you're not, then it probably is better off all round if you go elsewhere.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Decisions, decisions...