It is currently Thu 21 Nov 2019 08:35 GMT
Change font size

Decisions, decisions...

Considering move to Montreal

Have I made the right choice? Homesickness etc.

Considering move to Montreal

Postby Paul1277 » Sat 15 Oct 2011 12:47 GMT

considering an offer to move to Montreal, salary of about CAD 80 to 90K. Just the wife and I [and dog] What standard of living does that kind of salary give you there?
Posted by:
Paul1277

Postby Graeme » Sun 16 Oct 2011 02:56 GMT

Hi Paul, I don't know about Montreal but in general $80 to 90 thousand is above the Canadian average. In the city there are more cost pressures and I'm sure it wouldn't go as far as it would if you live outside the city. Over here in the West rural areas you would live rather well. You do know there are a lot of French speaking people in Montreal and they are not always the nicest to English speaking people? Just checking.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Paul1277 » Sun 16 Oct 2011 09:18 GMT

Graeme,
Thanks for the info. I would anticipate I would be living as far away from the center as commuting will allow, so hopefully not as expensive. Im not so much a city person anyway. Also having lived in Switzerland for the last year or so, we are picking up a bit of French [wife more than me] but would certainly give it a big push on the lessons if I take the job just to make sure I can communicate.
I was in Montreal earlier this year and loved the place, though I know what you mean about about thrr French speakers!
I also need to know how much im going to be taxed. Whats the total offtakes on that sort of salary?
Thanks again.
Paul.
Posted by:
Paul1277

Postby Graeme » Sun 16 Oct 2011 16:11 GMT

Salary is taxed at 3 distinct levels depending on income level. You would be at the 22% and close to the 27% levels. That is for federal tax, there is also provincial tax, which in BC is about 50% of the federal tax. Assuming the same for Quebec (although they get more federal grants than anywhere else they still get taxed) that would be about 33 to 35% of your gross income. You also have to pay Canada pension plan and Employment Insurance together they will cost you about 3,000 a year off the gross. At $80,000 a year I'd expect you to have a disposable income of about $4,500+ a month. You would also want to consider retirement funds which can be employer funded or employee contributed depending on the job, provincial regulations etc. I know this is a very rough estimate but I'm not familiar with Quebec taxation at all. You may also have a provincial tax to pay on purchases, here in BC we have a 5% GST and a 7% provincial sales tax added to the price of purchases.
Hope that helps.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Paul1277 » Sun 16 Oct 2011 16:29 GMT

Greame, thanks for all the info, its been a great help. I hope it all comes off as Im really looking forward to the chance to move across the pond. Switzerland is nice but its eyewateringly expensive!
Posted by:
Paul1277

Return to Decisions, decisions...