It is currently Mon 14 Oct 2019 01:29 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

I love Canada!

Canadian generosity

Maybe you've already moved and want to share your success story. Here's the place.

Canadian generosity

Postby Kay » Mon 27 Dec 2010 08:16 GMT

I just read about an elderly couple in Nova Scotia who won $11.2 million in a lottery - and gave it away!

Read more...

Apparently they don't need the money because they are happy to have each other. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon 27 Dec 2010 19:28 GMT

I bet they don't have kids, and if they do why wouldn't they give all their money to them? I'm all for altruism but this just seems a little silly.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 27 Dec 2010 21:54 GMT

Well, some people provide "enough" for their family and then share the wealth. That's what Andrew Carnegie did. Maybe some people don't want to give their kids millions of bucks. Make sure they're taken care of, by all means, but put the extra to good use.

OK, so we don't have kids, but if there's any money left by the time we depart it won't be going to family. I want mine to go to supporting people through education. It seems like a more useful thing to do than giving some family member a jump start.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Tue 28 Dec 2010 01:28 GMT

I understand that, it's just that if they had a family they would most probably want to help support them. I know if I had that sort of money it would be family first, however I always wanted to set up a breakfast program for the local kids so they don't go to school hungry. That way they can learn more on a full stomach and perhaps stay awake for the odd lecture.

Courses for horses I guess.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Buddyboy » Fri 31 Dec 2010 14:52 GMT

This is a Nova Scotia couple who, I understand, do have children. They apparently "looked after" family before giving the rest away, also kept a little back for eventualities. Nonetheless, the vast majority of the money was given away. If anyone would do such a thing it would be Nova Scotians. Even though this is one of the poorest provinces in Canada, the per capital donations to charity always top the list, which speaks volumes. The odd thing is that they say they have each other and that is all they need. Well, the woman is fighting cancer so, sadly, might not be around for long.

I agree in the main with Graeme. On the other hand, money in the right hands can do a lot of good. In the last couple of years I have been reading with interest how Bill Gates has given away so much of his fortune to good causes and, more importantly, has roped in a large number of fellow billionaires to do the same. Very impressive when they could quietly keep it all. The biggest donor of all was Howard Hughes. He set up a medical foundation to, purely and simply, dodge the tax man at the end of his life. The trust took on a life of its own though and now funds huge amounts of great medical research.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 1 Jan 2011 09:17 GMT

I read a biography about Andrew Carnegie recently. He came from a very poor Scottish family. The father was a bit of a wastrel - a failed weaver by trade - and the mother was a great driving force to improve the family's lives.

The family emigrated to the US when he was very young, but Andrew showed great entrepreneurial spirit from an early age. He gave loads away but found that he was making money faster than he could give it away. He set up various trusts and foundations so this good work could continue after his death.

Jamie Oliver (the UK celeb chef) is another one who gives a lot of his money to help the disadvantaged.

How much money does a person need? Once you have enough (whatever enough is) you might as well give some away and do some good with it. :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to I love Canada!