It is currently Wed 18 Sep 2019 19:38 GMT
Change font size

Family and pets

Moving to Spain with Dogs but worried about Leishmaniasis

Here's the place to talk about issues relating to family and pets, such as having a baby in Spain or bringing your dog to Spain.

Moving to Spain with Dogs but worried about Leishmaniasis

Postby ccresswell » Sun 3 Jul 2005 14:42 GMT

Hi,
I am looking to relocate to Spain (Almeira area) in about 6 months time with my 2 dogs - 9 year old Labs. I have read some scare stories about Leishmaniasis and particularly how dogs from the UK have lower resistance and hence can contract the disease 'easier'.

Are there any dog owners who have travelled from the UK to Spain that have any suggestions / experiences / stories they can share to hopefully put my mind at rest somewhat. I have read you should use tick repellant, get them Scalibor collars, keep them in at night. Am I being over worried?

Also how are dogs treated in Spain? Can they go on the beaches and are there a lot of off lead areas we can go to? Do many expats have dogs down there?

I suppose I should ask as well - sorry for the numerous questions - is it going to be very difficult to find a place to rent with my two Labs?

Thanks in advance!
C
Posted by:
ccresswell

dogs

Postby hillybilly » Sun 3 Jul 2005 22:11 GMT

We moved out here a couple of years ago with our Staffie - I found the book "Caring for your Pet in Spain" very useful (published by Santana). You just have to take some extra precautions with your dog's health here but don't worry yourself overly.
I keep a Scalibor collar on my dog, and a plug-in anti mossie device near where she sleeps. She has been fine. Other potential hazards are poison and the processionary caterpillar. As a precaution I keep my dog muzzled when out.
You may want to give your dogs only mineral water to drink as the water in many places is very hard and can cause kidney problems.
I've found the veterinary services here to be very good - professional and cheaper than the UK. My dog's last annual jab cost just €10!
As there is pretty much a "right to roam" here there are plenty of opportunities for off-leading if you want and out of season you can usually get a walk on the beach too.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
hillybilly
Free member

Postby spainboy » Sun 3 Jul 2005 22:45 GMT

Other potential hazards are poison

Good advice, we lost our dog to it last xmas .The dog (local owners) which lived across from us died last week after been posoned.
You can't buy asprin in the super market ,but you can buy rat poison :roll:
Best tip, Keep some vitamin K which is an antidote in the house.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby ccresswell » Mon 4 Jul 2005 07:54 GMT

Thanks for the replies! I have had a reply from a pet behaviourist in Spain - she said that she has heard there is a vaccine coming out soon for Leishmanosis but is not certain when or what the side effects might be.

I haven't yet looked into the processionary catepillars - but must do. Do dogs tend to eat them? And are they more of a danger?

I have had a quick search for the Looking After Your Pet in Spain book - it says it is no longer in print so, may be a bit difficult to source. I am sure I will find it somewhere though.

Thanks also for the advice about the poisoning. Is this very common? And you have mentioned that Vitamin K is an antidote?

My two Labs are typical Labs - they are scavengers and eat everything! I am not sure I will want to muzzle but, unless I can train them out of it, may have to consider it?
Posted by:
ccresswell

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon 4 Jul 2005 08:24 GMT

Sometimes I think I shoudn't read these.

I have enough to worry about re the move in September, without adding the dog to the problems.

Alan
Posted by:
Alan-LaCala
Free member

Postby spainboy » Mon 4 Jul 2005 10:33 GMT

More on Vit k1 and poisonhere
Best to keep some in the house so you can take it to the vets with you , not all will have stocks
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby hillybilly » Wed 6 Jul 2005 16:40 GMT

Thanks for the Vit K tip Spainboy.
Re the book - Amazon are saying it is still available but with 4-6 weeks delivery time.
I can't understand people's reluctance to use muzzles. Can somebody explain?! Surely a muzzled dog is better than a dead dog? I'd never forgive myself if my dog died as a result of eating poison because I'd failed to muzzle her. It does happen here, especially if you let your dog off the lead. There are plenty of muzzles on the market, all shapes, colours and sizes. They allow your dog to breathe, pant and drink water as normal so what is the problem with using one? If it saves your dog's life surely it has to be done?
Posted by:
hillybilly
Free member

DelBoy and Me!

Postby SamS » Wed 19 Jul 2006 13:43 GMT

Hi, i have just read your info on dogs in Spain. I have a 15month old Short Haired Border Collie. I'm moving in Jan with my family and mum & dad. They're convinced its the wrong thing to do with the dog. I disagree. Do the dogs really cope with the heat? What do you do with your dogs? Where do you walk them? I want all the answers to through back at my pesimystic family!!
Posted by:
SamS

Postby caroig » Wed 19 Jul 2006 14:44 GMT

Hi SamiJO,
There are lots of dogs over here and the odd case of sun stroke.
If you take reasonable precations, keep them in during the heat of midday, give them plenty of water, you shouldn't have any problems.
As to where to walk them, well that's going to depend on where you live.

I just heard that Gatwick reached just over 36ºC today, that's 4º higher than our high today in Valencia.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
caroig
Supporter

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed 19 Jul 2006 19:43 GMT

We moved here in mid September last year, so that our large German Shepherd/Rotweiller cross would have the winter to adjust to the heat.

So far it has worked very well, albeit we still have the rest of July and August to get through.

Remember that the coast is cooler than inland during the summer, sometimes by as much as 10 degrees.

We seem to be lucky in that our house is pretty cool anyway, but if any of us, dog included, gets too hot, on goes the air con.

We give him 2 main walks a day, one early morning and one late evening; during the day he just pops upto the local park for 5 minutes.

Touch wood it all seems to be working and he seems to be fit and healthy.

Good luck.

Alan
Posted by:
Alan-LaCala
Free member

Regards your Dogs

Postby Bobbydog » Sat 22 Jul 2006 03:52 GMT

Hi,
I brought my dog a Westie to spain nearly 7 years ago i live up in Catalunia, my dog is on the way out he cant hear going blind, but he will be 19 years old on New Years Day.
When you bring a dog to Spain as long as you keep up his injections every year and use Frontline Tic and Flea cracked open on the back of his neck you should be okay.
Most of the time your animal picks up Tics is in long grass or near to farm animals depending on the weather Frontline a pack of three will last you the summer, if you pick up a tick you can cover it in Vasaline it stops it breathing and will fall off quicker.
With the Sunshine being hot buy a Heavy Factor Screen about a 45 and put on the dogs Ears and Nose every morning this will stop any probs with the sun burning the animal.
Hope this helps you
Posted by:
Bobbydog

Postby MillerPOB » Sun 26 Jan 2014 10:53 GMT

Hi all,

I am aware that this discussion is a good few years old now but I was hoping for some advice. We are moving out to Southern Spain in November. We are thinking this would be a good time as this would give our Border Collie some time to adjust to the heat. However, we are still a little concerned about bringing him out. It can get very hot out and when we had a heat wave in Ireland during the summer he was quite lethargic at times (he was out during the day though). Obviously, we wouldn't have him out in the midday heat in Spain - two long walks in the morning and evening and shorter ones in daytime. We are looking for a property at the moment and that was good advice, Alan, regarding a cool house. This will be added to our list of prerequisites. But I would love to hear some stories of other big dogs or border collies that have been brought out to Spain and how they got on. Are there any other forums that we should be on that discuss this? Also, is there other advice anyone could give us, please do!
Posted by:
MillerPOB

Return to Family and pets