It is currently Sat 21 Jul 2018 04:13 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Pakistan – Quick Quiz
    It's the ancestral home of nearly one in 50 Britons and the world's only Muslim nuclear power. But what else do you know about Pakistan? Try our Quick Quiz and find out!

Money matters

Transferring 10-12k in Euros to UK

This is the place for all money-related issues. (If it's related to buying a house, please use our Housing in Spain forum.) NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section.

Transferring 10-12k in Euros to UK

Postby Imani » Thu 4 Jul 2013 14:15 GMT

Hello,

Please can anyone recommend the most cost-effective way to transfer around 10-12,000 euros from a Spanish bank (La Caixa) to the UK. Transferring money from La Caixa directly into a UK bank would incur unfavorable rates and commission. La Caixa's rate for SEPA payments (with full data identification) is 0.40% of the transaction amount.

There seem to be two main options:

PAYPAL: La Caixa (incurring payment for SEPA?) -> Paypal account in euros -> Barclays Euro Account in UK -> Currency Club (or similar) to transfer euros to GBP.

Paypal say: "As a buyer, we will not charge you to use PayPal unless it involves currency conversion.”

10,000 euros La Caixa – 40 euros (La Caixa SEPA payment comission) = 9960 euros converted into GBP via Currency Club Buy Back service: £8,369.75

TRANSFERWISE:

10,000 euros - 40 euro commission = 9960 converted by Transferwise = £8,486.

Are these calculations correct?

Another site recommends using an app such as Azimo, O2 Wallet or Barclay's Pingit but I don’t know anything about these options.

Your advice and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Posted by:
Imani

Postby LEAR1234 » Thu 31 Jul 2014 13:35 GMT

Imani, the post is timely. I have literally today done a very sizeable euro transfer back to the uk, from a Spanish la Caixa account. I spent weeks investigating best brokers and finding a way to circumvent their .4% charge.

I'd be very happy to share the intel with you, but much easier by phone. Do you have a number I can contact you on? I'm afraid I can't be PM'd as I'm not a premium member.

Cheers

Laurence

Ps. This is a genuine offer to extend the info I painstakingly learnt. I'm not a broker and I'm not affiliated or otherwise representing one.
Posted by:
LEAR1234

Transfer

Postby Imani » Thu 31 Jul 2014 14:57 GMT

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks very much for your message - it'd be great to speak through the transfer issue directly.

If you can send me an email, we can exchange numbers that way:

bethmeriam at gmail dot com

All the best and hasta pronto,

Beth
Posted by:
Imani

Return to Money matters