It is currently Thu 17 Oct 2019 09:58 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Leisure activities in Spain

Skiing In Spain

Sports, clubs, etc, - try here for info.

Skiing In Spain

Postby GCM » Sat 10 Dec 2005 21:48 GMT

I'm getting really excited - I love skiing but haven't yet been in Spain since I moved here.

I'm on the Costa Blanca and I'm thinking of going south to Granada for a day or two at a time but when does the season start (now?) and how do I find info?

Any experts got any tips to share?

Thanks Mark
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
GCM
Free member

Postby pueblopedro » Thu 19 Jan 2006 19:47 GMT

try http://www.idealspain.com/Pages/Places/SierraNevada.htm

or http://www.cetursa.es/

and choose english.

PS - these were the top two results in Google when I typed in ski, Granada
:)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
pueblopedro
Free member

Postby ValenciaTim » Fri 20 Jan 2006 09:59 GMT

Why not have a look at Teruel, it's only about 90 minutes drive north-west of Valencia and has all the usual facilities but the benefit of being relatively (I believe) undiscovered!
Tim
Posted by:
ValenciaTim
Free member

Postby GCM » Tue 24 Jan 2006 08:15 GMT

I have been to Teruel. At first I was excited thinking how close it was but having been there I think I would rather drive another hour and a half and get to Seirra Nevada.

With the two resorts west of Valencia - each has 6km of piste - that's small and snow is hit and miss so that would be my biggest fear - that I got there and there wasn't any snow!

At least it's another option I never had in Brighton!

Mark
Posted by:
GCM
Free member

Postby GCM » Fri 31 Mar 2006 09:23 GMT

Having started this thread I can finally give my own report on skiing in Spain – at Sierra Nevada near Granada right in the south of Spain near the Costa del Sol.

The drive down from Javea (Costa Blanca) took 5 hours. Do arrive as early as you can as the drive up the mountain is stop/start (well it was Sunday) despite the road being very easy to drive with no snow.

It is strange because all the way up there was no snow and it is only when you get right to the top that suddenly you see the mountain opposite covered in white.

Parking is easy as you go straight into an underground car park (approx 13 euros per day) and you can emerge directly up into the resort.

The resort is modern, not attractive but not ugly. The bit where the lifts are is free of cars and nicely done with lots of cafes, restaurants, ski hire shops (16 euros per day for skis only).

Ski pass on weekends is 37 euros – you pay 40 euros and at the end of the day you put your pass into a machine and it refunds you 3 euros.

Even on a Sunday queues were acceptable and it was a fantastic sunny day. There are plenty of runs – 70km approx. which is loads. The only thing is that the skiing is in a big bowl – there are no trees so it’s not the most scenic place to go but if you like your skiing you have to appreciate how lucky we are as you could ski in the morning and sunbathe on the beach in the afternoon – not many places can offer that.

The drive out at the end of the day was horrendous – it took ages, mostly in 1st gear, I would leave about 4-4.30 next time (if on a weekend) and just start earlier.

There are plenty of ski schools with private lessons about 30 euros an hour.

Go there!

Mark
Posted by:
GCM
Free member

Postby gronc » Fri 1 Dec 2006 16:07 GMT

Posted by:
gronc

Postby caroig » Sat 2 Dec 2006 10:48 GMT

Problem is there's no snow - I read somewhere that it's the first time in over 10 years that there may not be skiing in the Sierra nevada during the puente de la constitucion (next week). Currenly there are only 2km of slopes open - not very promising.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
caroig
Supporter

Return to Leisure activities in Spain