It is currently Thu 19 Sep 2019 21:16 GMT
Change font size

Jumble Sale

Which Area?

This forum is for all the jumbled up info about Spain. We've asked that, on the info forums, you please post on the relevant forums, start new threads for new topics, and please keep on topic. Otherwise the info is too hard to find for those coming after, and people end up having to repeatedly answer the same questions. (If your posting is locked in here, please feel free to post again in the appropriate place.)

Which Area?

Postby joanhatton » Wed 30 Aug 2006 14:28 GMT

We are thinking about moving abroad, but need to work. I am a fully qualified beauty therapist and would like to either start my own business or buy an established one. My husband would like to do a bit of odd jobing.

Firstly we would like to know which areas would be good for us jobwise.

Secondly, we understand that the crime rate is rising, are there any particular areas that we should avoid.

We aim to rent for a few months before we buy, any idea of rent rates for 2 bed apartments, etc.

Also, any idea how we go about paying pension and social security payments!!!!

Also tax implications.

Thanks ery much in advance.

Joan and Steve :lol:
Posted by:
joanhatton

Postby Dave » Wed 30 Aug 2006 14:53 GMT

Hi, and welcome to the boards.

Please could you ask your tax question and pension and social security payments question on the appropriate boards? It makes things much easier for the people who might be able to answer those questions - and for the people coming afterwards who might also benefit from those answers.

Dave :)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed 30 Aug 2006 20:38 GMT

Employment in Spain is very difficult without the language.

Perhaps as a beauty therapist you may be able to aim for the expat market, but that will restrict where you can relocate to.

Not sure what you mean by "oddjob". There are thousands of expat builders and handymen out here, all looking for work.

Crime seems to be on the rise in most places, but all I can say is that I feel pretty safe here, but we are in a fairly small village, and I have not ventured out in any of the big cities in the evening.

For rental rates, try a Google search of some holiday lets, or estate agents.

Good luck.

Alan
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Alan-LaCala
Free member

Postby mananaman » Sat 31 Mar 2007 11:52 GMT

I think you would need to move to a tourist area if you want to open a Beauty Salon, Costa de Sol or Blanca.
My partner is also a Beauty Therapist and when we bought our house in the Jaen province she was thinking of opening a salon but decided not to as she cannot speak Spanish.
We have also noticed that there are lots of Beauty Salons in just about every large village or town so there would be competition where ever you go and I imagine that the Spanish would probably go to a Spanish Salon.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mananaman
Free member

Postby dallas.magic » Tue 10 Apr 2007 06:06 GMT

Hello everyone out there! After many years in the professional entertainment business and after much soul searching have made the exciting decision to relocate to Spain. Have done alot of research as advised but there are some things i need advice with please. Originally i thought Costa del Sol would be my ideal work place(i am a female magician) but Torrevieja in the Costa Blanca area and keeps cropping up in various ways,and i did happen to stumble across a Spanish Property Exhibition here in the UK yesterday for some builders called Prestige Villas who build there....obviously i have to research them thoroughly as well. One of my questions is....what is anyones thoughts on this area for work in my profession.The Prestige salesman did say that there were plenty of clubs and bars etc there...but they would!! I recall reading that Torrevieja was an 'all year rounder' and not seasonal as Costa del Sol.Obviously i have to be near an international school as i have a girl of nearly 13 and twins of 11 and there are two in the location. My concern is that it is like Benidorm!! Also any other advice on buying/renting please.....sincere thanks in advance!! [/b]
Posted by:
dallas.magic
Free member

Postby romfty » Tue 10 Apr 2007 08:00 GMT

Hi, Torrevieja is a large coastal town that is forever expanding and I'm sure would have the venues for your work, as would a lot of other places. The motorways and link roads here are brilliant which gives you the scope to commute further. International schools are all around, some are very good, others have mixed reports, my son attends the European school near Alicante (takes pre school to university). As for property, it is a buyers market at the moment, things have really slowed down, although others will tell you differrent. My advice would be to come out and rent somwhere ( do a search on long term rentals on the costa blanca)for a few months then have a look around, some rentals are sky high, but if they know you are looking long term the prices tumble, also, resist the urge to rent somewhere with a sea view (you pay a lot extra for it), re sales are better value than new properties, but of course it depends what you are looking for. Old town houses that have been re vamped can still be bought at very reasonable prices.
Posted by:
romfty
Free member

Thanks

Postby dallas.magic » Tue 10 Apr 2007 22:54 GMT

Thank you romfty for that advice!....i will come out and have a look around first as you suggest.
Posted by:
dallas.magic
Free member

Return to Jumble Sale