It is currently Tue 23 Jul 2019 08:52 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Opinions/Politics

An atheist church

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

An atheist church

Postby Kay » Mon 4 Feb 2013 18:46 GMT

Story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21319945

How totally bizarre. I thought that most atheists were opposed to organised religion. Whatever next? Atheists proselytising? Surely not.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sun 3 Mar 2013 16:10 GMT

If I wanted to attend an atheist church I'd have stayed CoE
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 3 Mar 2013 18:33 GMT

:lol:

Very much my reaction, Mark. Yes, it fulfils an emotional need for people who want to feel part of a like-minded community. But the moment you start justifying atheism on the basis that "other people share this belief system" is the moment when you start undermining the credibility of atheism.

As far as I'm concerned, the point of atheism is that you don't believe - unless you're one of the few people who are atheists by conviction rather than by persuasion. I don't know that there are no gods, but I don't know that there are any, either. I don't think it's necessary to assume their existence just to make a plausible cosmology, and I don't see any evidence for divine intervention anywhere in humanity's existence (plenty of incidents of "innocent" people dying in freak accidents to counterbalance those saved; plenty of incidents of "bad" people surviving and indeed flourishing to counterbalance those who meet unpleasant ends).

If you want to join a club, by all means go ahead. But regular meetings for mutual reassurance and reinforcement seems a step too far down the religious path for me.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Opinions/Politics