It is currently Sun 21 Apr 2019 04:38 GMT
Change font size

Opinions/Politics

America's record of child abuse

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

America's record of child abuse

Postby Kay » Sat 15 Feb 2014 04:33 GMT

I came across this blog post which looked quite interesting. I've not had time to verify (or otherwise) the claims or figures it contains. If it's true, it's a seriously worrying situation.

Do you think this is an accurate portrayal of the situation? Sensationalised?

Any insights on the issue?

http://stevethebloggers.blogspot.ca/201 ... shame.html
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat 15 Feb 2014 18:50 GMT

I think there are other ways to look at this, all physicians are required by law to report suspicious injuries to children. Unless the fall or injury is witnessed by an independent person then it tends to fall into the suspicious category and gets reported. Usually there is nothing to it, but it becomes a statistic anyhow. We all know there are lies, damned lies and statistics and it's really hard to put a lot of faith in statistics in the USA as they are well massaged by the statisticians to show whatever it is that they want to show. True child abuse physical or sexual is not really common, but it does appear to be on the rise and I wonder if our desensitization to violence has created this. Having said that it's been a while since I heard about a shaken baby case. I did however work on a triple murder here in 2008 when a fellow killed his three children, he plead criminally insane and got it. That brought it home that sometimes we let insane people look after our weakest and most vulnerable, what other sort of outcome could you logically expect?
:cry:
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Opinions/Politics