It is currently Thu 20 Jun 2019 03:35 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Opinions/Politics

???

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

???

Postby Purley » Sun 30 Mar 2003 21:27 GMT

Who is HIT and why does he/she keep posting stuff about Bush on the Canadian board?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby hit » Mon 31 Mar 2003 08:24 GMT

it's called freedom of speech, ever heard of it?

take care
Posted by:
hit

Postby hit » Mon 31 Mar 2003 08:25 GMT

at least now i have provoked up some conversation!!
Posted by:
hit

Postby Hajo » Mon 31 Mar 2003 10:06 GMT

hit wrote:at least now i have provoked up some conversation!!

Provocation and conversation is fine with me, but you have to know where and when.

To those who know me on this forum it is no secret that I have very strong opinions, which sometimes I share here. See my post about Robin Cook and the war against Iraq at http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/viewtopic.php?t=161 or my remarks about censorship at http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/viewtopic.php?t=113. In fact I absolutely loath the current US Administration. But I am keeping my posts on this subject to a limited number, because this is in the first place an British expat forum, about expat lifestyle, countries, work, legal and medical issues and chat.

I too wish for a forum here to express opinion and expressed that in the following post on the "Suggest new forum" board: http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/viewtopic.php?t=165. There was little (and negative) response so I let the matter rest.

Having said that, your posts are out of order, for a number of reasons: you have consistently posted on the wrong board (Canada) even after being told so, and I have yet to see an on-topic, constructive post from you. At the moment it just looks to me like there is a new member (where from, expat or not?) who tries to wind up this community. And unless you prove that you can also contribute to this community in a serious and constructive manner, with the occasional provocative post if you need to, then IMHO it can only be recommended to the Admin or the respectice moderators to remove your posts on the Canada board.

Hajo :roll:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Hajo
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 31 Mar 2003 14:12 GMT

I've now created a new board for opinions and politics, and have moved/will move all these kind of postings there.

Hajo - I'm sorry, I somehow missed your earlier request for this. It's a good idea so thanks and I've done it now.

Hit - freedom of speech is fine and I hope you'll use the new board instead as the Canada forum really isn't the place for it. I shall also edit your sarcastic posting to Hajo. Having different opinions is OK, being rude to people isn't.

Lizwil et al - I hope you'll continue to enjoy the Canada board now we've shifted the political stuff off of it. Lizwil, don't forget that you are a moderator of this board so feel free to move anything to a more appropriate board.

All - I'm sorry that we're having a bit of a disagreement here and hope that the creation of the new opinions/politics board will be an acceptable compromise.

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Purley » Tue 1 Apr 2003 18:21 GMT

I certainly don't object to Hit's posts at all. Its just that I thought they didn't belong on the Canadian board seeing they had nothing to do with Canada. That is a great idea to move them here.

I saw that I am a moderator but to tell the truth I have absolutely no idea how to move stuff or what a moderator can do. Perhaps I will send an IM to Kay so I can find out.

Carry on with the posts Hit. But I do agree with Kay there is no need to be rude just becuase someone has a different view. I am all for different views but against rudeness!!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Mike » Sat 26 Apr 2003 19:07 GMT

I've browsed around this forum, to catch up with what is perhaps becoming a sore point.

I agree 100% with Hajo, and/but this forum is an add-on to this website. The tail does not wag the dog. This website is first, foremost and last two things - a source of information and support to British expats the world o'er, and a link to home, via fun, p*ss-taking, irreverence and a soupcon of nostalgia.

The website will not be driven by the forum.

And the Forum will not be driven by those who cannot find the correct medium to express themselves. This is not an easy touch.

He says, having been absent a while, but now going to moderate (ie kick out) the Clark in the Park inappropriate posts.

(Kay - "Where's Clarkie?" - Better late than never, babe!)

Mike.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Return to Opinions/Politics