It is currently Mon 23 Sep 2019 09:36 GMT
Change font size

Opinions/Politics

Brits & Yanks

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Brits & Yanks

Postby Hajo » Sat 26 Apr 2003 16:36 GMT

Just found this on another internet forum.

Supposedley accurate description of two speeches given to the respective troops at the start of the Iraq conflict by the Brits and Yanks

The British speech : (Lt.Col Tim Collins)

"If you are ferocious in battle, remember to be magnanimous in victory. We go to liberate, not to conquer. We are entering Iraq to free a people, and the only flag that will be flown in that ancient land is their own. Don't treat them as refugees, for they are in their own country. If there are casualties of war, then remember, when they woke up and got dressed in the morning they did not plan to die this day. Allow them dignity in death. Bury them properly and mark their graves. You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest, for your deeds will follow you down history. Iraq is steeped in history. It is the site of the Garden of Eden, of the Great Flood and the birth of Abraham. Tread lightly there."

The US speech : (Vice Admiral Timothy Keating)

"When the president says 'Go', look out - it's hammer time" (followed by We Will Rock You at high volume)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Hajo
Free member

Postby Hajo » Sat 26 Apr 2003 18:31 GMT

Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Hajo
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 26 May 2003 10:12 GMT

A very interesting comparison, Hajo. But I guess as a Brit I'm biased.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Mon 26 May 2003 10:46 GMT

The only surprising thing is they played a song by a non American group...

Out of interest, what would the people's rebulic of Rhineland have said?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Hajo » Tue 27 May 2003 08:58 GMT

Rich wrote:Out of interest, what would the people's rebulic of Rhineland have said?

Here goes:

Prinz Karneval, addressing the Rhinish troops one the eve of war:

Denn wenn et Trömmelche jeht,
dann stonn mer all parat
un mer trecke durch die Stadt
un jeder hätt jesaat
Kölle Alaaf, Alaaf - Kölle Alaaf

Full text here.

On a sidenote, we are not a "people's republic" in the political sense of the word. We are a fools' republic, and we only claim our independence between November 11 of each year and Ash Wednesday the year after.

Hajo 8)
Posted by:
Hajo
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Tue 27 May 2003 15:54 GMT

Hajo, I don't even have a Hoch Deutsch dictionary with me, let alone a Rhinish one, but I can just about work out the first 4 lines - could you translate the last one, please?
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Hajo » Sun 1 Jun 2003 11:27 GMT

Denn wenn et Trömmelche jeht,
dann stonn mer all parat
un mer trecke durch die Stadt
un jeder hätt jesaat
Kölle Alaaf, Alaaf - Kölle Alaaf

chabrenas wrote:Hajo, I don't even have a Hoch Deutsch dictionary with me, let alone a Rhinish one, but I can just about work out the first 4 lines - could you translate the last one, please?

The term Kölle Alaaf dates back to the 16th century when Count Metternich wrote in a petition "Cöllen al aaf" = "Cologne above all". It then reappears in 1736 as a drinking toast in the Cologne carnival ("Karneval" = "carne vale" lat. = "farewell to meat"), and has been used ever since. Karneval is the fifth season in Rhineland, between November 11 and Ash Wednesday, the great winter celebrations before the lent fast. For a full English explanation of the Rhinish Carnival click here.

"Alaaf" is widely used in the Rhineland, not only in Cologne. For example, people in the city of Aachen shout "Oche Alaaf". However, in Cologne's rival city, Düsseldorf, people shout "Düsseldorf Hellau" instead.

Hajo 8)
Posted by:
Hajo
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Sun 1 Jun 2003 20:00 GMT

Vielen dank'. An interesting bit of history. I've been promising my friend Keith Kellett that I'd resurrect his www.discoveringhistory.com site. When I get round to it, I'll be begging for input from you.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Return to Opinions/Politics