It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2019 18:33 GMT
Change font size

Opinions/Politics

"Master" is racist. Huh?

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

"Master" is racist. Huh?

Postby Kay » Thu 3 Mar 2016 10:05 GMT

This is a new one for me. Typical academic titles - bachelor, master, doctor - may be a bit out of date now but they're traditional and a landmark achievement for many. Why fix what ain't broke?

Heck, I'm not really a bachelor or a master, but I'm pleased enough to have the titles as a mark of achievement. Now, apparently, it's racist to be a "master". It refers to the slave trade.

Eh?

When I was at school (and Latin was compulsory) "magister" meant "scholar" or similar. But that's not good enough for Harvard.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35690050

History happened. Let's not try to rewrite it or change things just for the sake of it. I bet there are loads of black people with masters degrees who are as astounded by this as I am.

Do you agree? (Or am I starting to sound like a Daily Heil reader?)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: "Master" is racist. Huh?

Postby ruggie » Sat 5 Mar 2016 20:04 GMT

Long before slavery, 'Master' referred to skill level in a trade guild. They were in charge of apprentices, but their main job was to teach them.

Orwell got several things wrong in the details of '1984'. One was that he assumed it would be almost entirely governments that created 'Newspeak', whereas it has really been mostly minority groups with loud voices...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Opinions/Politics