It is currently Wed 26 Jun 2019 08:30 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Opinions/Politics

Sex and religion

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Sex and religion

Postby ruggie » Sun 9 Oct 2005 20:31 GMT

I saw an interesting proposition on a blog site today. Here's a summary:

Religion should be subject to the same social codes and laws as sex.

1. Practise it any way you like, but not in public places.
2. Don't try harrassing me into practising it with you if I say I'm not interested.
3. No flashing.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Graeme » Sun 9 Oct 2005 23:06 GMT

Sounds good to me, could apply it to politics as well perhaps.

:lol:
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Mon 10 Oct 2005 00:41 GMT

I'd agree with that one, definitely.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Kay » Mon 10 Oct 2005 02:16 GMT

You've got my vote! :lol:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby BRIT'N'TX » Sat 25 Mar 2006 00:03 GMT

I agree in the main ...

but where's the harm in flashing? no wonder religion's dying!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
BRIT'N'TX
Free member

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 25 Mar 2006 00:27 GMT

Totally agree.

Alan..
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby justajester » Sat 25 Mar 2006 13:18 GMT

Maybe a number 4 would be good, too:

4. When you decide you are no longer a card-carrying member, do NOT write a book about your harrowing experience.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Thu 30 Mar 2006 15:36 GMT

No 4 sounds like a good addendum. What I can't understand about those books - about any cult, religion, hobby or other group activity - is that intelligent readers should get the message that they are reading about a weak, immature person telling you how weak and immature they were (and still are). Why do they sell so many copies?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Lottie5 » Wed 23 May 2007 15:01 GMT

Haha, that definately sounds about right.

In my old school an RE teacher often told us about her religion, and made me feel slightly... wrong... for not believing. But it's my choice. And it should be everyone's choice.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Lottie5
Free member

Postby Julius » Thu 2 Aug 2007 00:19 GMT

Law and religion are the standard basis for morality and order in a civilized society. It's ok when people exercises freedom of choice, it's guaranteed under the constitution in a democratic country. Sometimes people feel guilty... or felt slightly wrong" for their choices or actions because they know that religion and law are right. :lol:
Posted by:
Julius

Postby Dave » Thu 2 Aug 2007 02:26 GMT

Julius wrote:Law and religion are the standard basis for morality and order in a civilized society.

If you read their constitutions, you'll find that law alone is the basis for morality and order in the vast majority of civilised societies. Freedom of worship is a right that citizens may choose to exercise; it does not imply a civic duty on the part of the citizen to worship.

Sometimes people feel guilty... or felt slightly wrong" for their choices or actions because they know that religion and law are right.

So which religion exactly is right? People being made to feel bad about not believing in gods has nothing at all to do with what they know to be right. On the other hand, it's got a hell of a lot to do with peer pressure.

I'm with Lottie5 on this one. If religion is to be taught in schools at all, then it should be comparative religion (give kids a chance to see that there are alternatives to whatever may be rammed down their throats at home); and teachers who misuse the lessons to push their own personal preference should be banned from teaching it.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Sex & Religion

Postby superskib » Tue 23 Feb 2010 19:17 GMT

I regard Religion and Politics as the the theory and practice of life. Religion is the theory in that it tells us what we should do, how to do it and why even.

Politics tells us what can be done (pragmatism and expediency) and brings in budgets, targets, legal stuff etc.

Unfortunately theory and practice are often contradictory and incompatible.
Posted by:
superskib

Postby Dave » Tue 23 Feb 2010 20:29 GMT

Broadly, I'd agree - if only you'd said ethics rather than religion. Why bring a great beard in the sky into it?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 24 Feb 2010 13:10 GMT

5. Leave kids out of it until they are old enough to make up their own mind. There is no such thing as a Catholic (or whatever) child, merely the child of a Catholic parent. We don't label children according to their parent's political beliefs, so why their religious beliefs.

Religion is the theory in that it tells us what we should do, how to do it and why even. I don't need religion to tell me what to do, how to do it, or why - I do what's right because its my moral code, not out of fear of retribution when I die.

Some of the morals in the bible are utterly reprihensible - many others are irrelevant. Lets just take the 10 commandments

1. : 'Thou shall have no other gods before Me.'
2. : 'Thou shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness
of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth
beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'
3. : 'Thou shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'
4. 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'
5. 'Honor your father and your mother.'
6. 'Thou shall not murder.'
7. 'Thou shall not commit adultery.'
8. 'Thou shall not steal.'
9. 'Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'
10.' Thou shall not covet your neighbor's house;

Well, 1,2,3 are pure ego, and are dependent not just on the Christian God existing, but it being the only god. Prove there is a god, and I might take note.
4. - again, only of relevance to a christian god, and only if you believe in the literal truth of the bible that heaven and earth were created in 7 days, a concept I suspect most christians don't believe
5-10 are fine, but are the cornerstone of any civilised society, and didn't need religion to come up with them - they are common sense.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 24 Feb 2010 13:45 GMT

Richard Dawkins 10 commandments - now don't they make more sense ?

1.Do not do to others what you would not want them to do to you
2.In all things, strive to cause no harm
3.Treat your fellow human beings, your fellow living things, and the world in general with love, honesty, faithfulness and respect.
4.Do not overlook evil or shrink from administering justice, but always be ready to forgive wrongdoing freely admitted and honestly regretted.
5.Live life with a sense of joy and wonder
6.Always seek to be learning something new
7.Test all things; always check your ideas against the facts, and be ready to discard even a cherished belief if it does not conform to them.
8.Never seek to censor or cut yourself off from dissent; always respect the right of others to disagree with you.
9.Form independent opinions on the basis of your own reason and experience; do not allow yourself to be led blindly by others.
10.Question everything
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Opinions/Politics