It is currently Thu 22 Aug 2019 18:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Opinions/Politics

The War

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

The War

Postby caroig » Fri 8 Jun 2007 13:50 GMT

"I am making this statement as an act of wilful defiance of military authority, because I believe that the war is being deliberately prolonged by those who have the power to end it.
I am a soldier, convinced that I am acting on behalf of soldiers. I believe that this war, upon which I entered as a war of defence and liberation, has now become a war of aggression and conquest. I believe that the purposes for which I and my fellow-soldiers entered upon this war should have been so clearly stated as to have made it impossible to change them, and that, had this been done, the objects which actuated us would now be attainable by negotiation. I have seen and endured the sufferings of the troops, and I can no longer be a party to prolong these sufferings for ends which I believe to be evil and unjust. I am not protesting against the conduct of the war, but against the political errors and insincerities for which the fighting men are being sacrificed. On behalf of those who are suffering now I make this protest against the deception which is being practiced on them; also I believe that I may help to destroy the callous complacence with which the majority of those at home regard the continuance of agonies which they do not share, and which they have not sufficient imagination to realize."

Siegfried Sassoon

Letter from the front to the Times, 1917
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
caroig
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sat 9 Jun 2007 18:26 GMT

And later, someone else said 'Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.'

Plus ├ža change,....
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Opinions/Politics