It is currently Wed 18 Sep 2019 01:08 GMT
Change font size

Opinions/Politics

Gordon Brown wants your liver...

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Gordon Brown wants your liver...

Postby Dave » Sun 13 Jan 2008 16:18 GMT

...and any other of your organs that may be of any use after your death:

BBC: PM backs automatic organ donation

I'm not sure what to think about this. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the notion of an opt-out system in most cases (the one exception I've made up to now is the "political levy" for trade union members).

On the other hand, I do think it's a pity that would-be organ donors are thwarted in their wishes after their death because their family object (or simply couldn't be contacted to give their go-ahead). Apparently in Spain the family refusal rate is about 15%; in the UK it's more like 40%.

While the idea of bits of my body being cut off for re-use makes me feel a bit squeamish, in principle I know it's the right thing to do. On the other hand I don't carry the card. Maybe I should (not that it would necessarily be understood here).
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 13 Jan 2008 17:06 GMT

I admit to feeling a little bit squeamish about being cut up like this after my death but agree it's the "right" thing to do.

I think of it this way - if I needed a spare part I'd hope that someone has been kind enough to provide it. You can't expect to take and not to give. Therefore I'm willing to make available any bits of me which might be useful to someone else. It's only fair.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 15 Jan 2008 21:31 GMT

I'd certainly be happy for someone to use the bits - but, like using my malaria- and brucellosis-infested blood, I'm not sure that anyone would care to do so...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 16 Jan 2008 05:15 GMT

My enlarged liver might be good for making foie gras. :twisted:

My blood's probably no use either since the dengue fever and various other things. There was something else wrong with it but I can't remember what the heck is was now.

And if my eyesight gets any worse I'll need a white stick or a dog.

Ah well, if someone was desperate perhaps they wouldn't be fussy. The offer's there.

It's a bit of a waste to die healthy. Maybe it's better to use up all the bits yourself (and all the money) before departing.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 17 Jan 2008 20:34 GMT

Good thinking. But the trick is to make it last as long as you do...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Opinions/Politics