It is currently Sat 16 Feb 2019 15:40 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Laos – Quick Quiz
    Historic "Land of a Million Elephants" and target of more tons of bomb per head than any other country ever, Laos has seen a lot in its time. What do you know about it?

Opinions/Politics

Newsletter editorial, Nov '10: Dumbing down at the BBC

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Newsletter editorial, Nov '10: Dumbing down at the BBC

Postby Dave » Tue 30 Nov 2010 10:41 GMT

This month's newsletter editorial was about dumbing down at the BBC, particularly the increasingly superficial rolling news coverage on BBC World.

What do you think? Is it time for the BBC to slim down and concentrate on producing a smaller but higher quality service? Should the BBC be placed on a more commercial footing? Or is the criticism mere sniping at a service justly respected for its comprehensive global reach?

We'd love to hear your thoughts.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Thu 2 Dec 2010 16:33 GMT

I just spent a few days away from home and the hotel I stayed in offered the BBC world service. I hadn't watched this for a while and I decided to watch and see what was happening in the world. I have to say it was a real parson's egg. There were good bits with excellent coverage and in depth analysis, but there were also parts which were glib, skimmed over and obviously a filler. Not what I had expected from the Beeb. The weather as Dave mentioned in his article was useless and best and misleading at worst, covering the whole world in 20 seconds means that you get no useful information on anywhere, you can't even cover the UK or the USA in 20 seconds never mind the rest of the world. I understand the financial pressures on the Beeb are forcing some changes, it's just a shame to see such a powerful icon falling to the level of its competitors.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 2 Dec 2010 16:46 GMT

Thanks for your thoughts, Graeme. "Parson's egg" sums it up well, I think - especially since a lot of the content is simply re-delivered (if not actually replayed footage) over several hours. And sub-editing appears to have gone right out of the window where the website's concerned, although in fairness that particular phenomenon certainly isn't confined to the BBC.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Opinions/Politics