It is currently Sat 16 Feb 2019 10:57 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Laos – Quick Quiz
    Historic "Land of a Million Elephants" and target of more tons of bomb per head than any other country ever, Laos has seen a lot in its time. What do you know about it?

Opinions/Politics

Canadian radio now allowed to play Money for Nothing

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Canadian radio now allowed to play Money for Nothing

Postby ruggie » Fri 2 Sep 2011 08:19 GMT

Dire Straits' satirical song 'Money for Nothing', is is no longer banned on Canadian radio.

bbc article

I see this song as a good piece of satire, in the manner of the old boy in Till Death Do Us Part, but it was originally banned because a listener complained about this verse:

(See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy that’s his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he’s a millionaire)

The parentheses show that the verse is optional, and not included in all recordings.
Last edited by ruggie on Fri 2 Sep 2011 17:04 GMT, edited 2 times in total.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Fri 2 Sep 2011 11:17 GMT

I remember at the time Mark Knopfler protesting that it was satire and didn't represent his views - and a number of gay rights groups saying they understood his meaning and didn't take offence.

Completely silly to ban the song altogether when it's perfectly possible to play a version without the "offensive" words - as the BBC did.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Fri 2 Sep 2011 15:09 GMT

Looks as if I can't correct the typo in the title (:=< Should, of course, be 'no longer'.

[OK. problem was that the title was too long. Now I need to find a better way to shorten it]
Last edited by ruggie on Fri 2 Sep 2011 17:01 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Fri 2 Sep 2011 15:36 GMT

The title's too long for the system, Ruggie. Why not "Canadian radio lifts ban on playing..."?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Fri 2 Sep 2011 17:02 GMT

Snap!! Got there by the skin of my teeth. Can't make out what authority did the banning. Sounds as if a higher authority over-rode the ban. My new title fudges the issue well enough I reckon.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Opinions/Politics