It is currently Sat 18 Aug 2018 00:22 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Ukraine – Quick Quiz
    It's the largest country by land area that lies entirely within Europe. And the first line of its national anthem says, reassuringly, that it's not dead yet. But what else do you know about Ukraine?

Choosing Where to Live

Gostilitsa

Mountains, sea or cities, Bulgaria has a lot of variety to offer. . . But where to choose? This forum can help!

Gostilitsa

Postby AlecH » Mon 3 Sep 2007 10:06 GMT

Hi all,

Has anybody heard of a place called Gotsilitsa, I have a friend there who tells me it is beautiful but comments from others with experience would be helpful.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
AlecH
Free member

Postby dazk » Tue 23 Oct 2007 09:17 GMT

Hi,we have a house in Gostilitsa and it is a very nice village with great views over the Stara Planina mountains.We bought in July of this year and are currently having new windows,central heating and a kitchen fitted.
Hopefully moving out permanently early in the new year.
Posted by:
dazk

Gostilitsa

Postby AlecH » Tue 23 Oct 2007 09:42 GMT

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, it is good to hear comments from other people who have experienced the place. We are setting off next week and driving over and hope to be there in the next two weeks. Will hopefully meet you whilst we are there.
Regards
Alec
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
AlecH
Free member

Postby dazk » Tue 23 Oct 2007 15:53 GMT

Hi,have you been there since your post in Aug? I can pm you a couple of photos of the view from the village(actually from our house in the village). The Dryanavo Monestry is about 10-15 mins drive away and is a must to see.
Posted by:
dazk

Alec

Postby AlecH » Tue 23 Oct 2007 17:59 GMT

No not been there before, I have a mate who lives in the village and we are going to stay with him whilst we have a look around. I would be grateful for any piccy's that you send. What is the buying process like, I believe it is quite straightforward.
Posted by:
AlecH
Free member

Postby dazk » Tue 23 Oct 2007 20:02 GMT

Yes the buying process for us was really simple,we bought the house from our estate agent,signed power of attorney over to her.She opened a bank account and business account for us.We then went home and left the rest to her.Had to transfer money from the UK into our BG account for deposit etc. 4 weeks later it was all done and dusted.We went back out last month and got the key and title deeds.
Posted by:
dazk

Re: Gostilitsa

Postby Stupot » Mon 23 Jun 2008 14:49 GMT

Hi, I have just found this forum. I have a house in Gostilitsa and would be pleased to share information with you.

Stupot
Posted by:
Stupot

In Residence

Postby AlecH » Sat 19 Jul 2008 09:20 GMT

Hi Stupot,

Thanks for the post, we have now bought in Gostilitsa and are in the middle of a renovation, let us know when you will be in the village and maybe we can meet for a beer.
Posted by:
AlecH
Free member

Gostilitsa

Postby Stupot » Mon 21 Jul 2008 09:08 GMT

Hi AlecH,
We hope to be in the village for 2 weeks in late September, and a beer sounds great.
Where abouts in the village are you? Does the house need much renovation? Are you doing it all yourself, or will you have help from some of the village locals? I understand that water is a problem in the village, it keeps on being cut off. Last time I was over saw 7 wells, do you have one in your garden?
We are hoping to buy a kitchen and fit it when we come over.

Stupot
Posted by:
Stupot

Gostilitsa

Postby AlecH » Mon 21 Jul 2008 14:03 GMT

Hiya Stupot,

Thanks for the reply, we are quite high up in the village, the house is a complete wreck and we are doing a total renovation, when we bought it there was 1 tap, 1 light bulb no drains and 1 electrical socket. We are living in a caravan in the garden whilst we do it, I am doing most of the work myself with a little local help. As regards the water it is off as we speak and unfortunately we do not have a well of our own so we are having to import it from the springs in the village. It is a little inconvenient especially when you need it for concrete etc. Where is your place, is it renovated or is there lots to do, maybe we know it as we drove round this village for weeks looking for a house. Anyway, must dash, have to get into town for more materials for tomorrow. Stay in touch.

Regards

Alec
Posted by:
AlecH
Free member

Gostilitsa

Postby Stupot » Sun 31 Aug 2008 10:52 GMT

Hi AlecH,
Apologies for the long delay since my last post (things a little hetic here). We will look forward to seeing you end of September. Our house is on the main road going through the village on the bend next to the Mayor's house. It has been renovated, but still has a few finishing touches, summer kitchen, curtains etc. Hope your renovation is taking shape I will be interested to see the progress.
Stupot
Posted by:
Stupot

Postby Julieeee » Sun 21 Jun 2009 19:36 GMT

Hi Alec, only just discovered this forum. We met last September through Keith & Angie (gave your sis a lift back to the airport). How's the house coming along - I remember you saying you were determined not to have another cold winter in the caravan! I'm hopefully coming over again during the summer though not looking forward to getting water from the well every day as I believe mains water is a bit hit and miss at the moment. Hope all's good with you anyway!
Posted by:
Julieeee

Hi Julie

Postby AlecH » Wed 15 Jul 2009 14:25 GMT

Good to hear from you again. I hope you are well, thanks for the lift you gave to my sisters, it was a great help. Well summer has finally arrived, we have had a really wet June/July but hopefully we should see some good weather now.
Let me know when you are over again and we will meet for a drink. Look forward to seeing you again and have a safe trip over.

Alec
Posted by:
AlecH
Free member

Water in Gostilitsa

Postby JoshUK » Sat 5 Sep 2009 09:31 GMT

Hello Gostilitsa residents. I'm new to this site but looking to buy and move out to Bulgaria. I went to look at a couple of properties in your village last week. The views are great!! I was, however, concerned about the water when I was there. Have there been any improvements on that front as neither of the properties had wells.
Posted by:
JoshUK

Postby Julieeee » Sat 5 Sep 2009 11:16 GMT

Hi Josh. I believe that new water pipes were laid in the village earlier this year and that this work is now completed. I imagine towards the end of summer water will always be an issue as it is needed for crops. There are a lot of public wells around the village so there may be some fairly near to the properties you were looking at. If you were looking to live there for months at a time I would think some sort of back-up water supply would be necessary, even something as easy as water butts so you can at least flush the loo! I don't think it's too major a job having a well put in or a large water storage tank installed. I've been holidaying in the village about 9 times now (mostly in summer) and only on one occassion were there long term water cut offs.
Posted by:
Julieeee

Next

Return to Choosing Where to Live