It is currently Mon 12 Nov 2018 21:59 GMT
Change font size

Choosing Where to Live

visiting bulgaria soon

Mountains, sea or cities, Bulgaria has a lot of variety to offer. . . But where to choose? This forum can help!

visiting bulgaria soon

Postby sarah85 » Wed 22 Oct 2008 22:31 GMT

Hi I am new to this site, and I am going to visit bulgaria in december staying for 6 weeks. Could anyone give me any information on the country, how did you find it, what to look out for?
Thank you for your help.
Sarah
Posted by:
sarah85

trip to bg

Postby Tee4me » Sat 25 Oct 2008 19:10 GMT

hi sarah
not visited in winter,know they have cold winters,id take some warm clothes! not sure if others would agree,but id have in place arrangments if get snowed in,as could need to extend your stay!
Make sure you keep passport on you at all times,but keep seperate from daily use,as i foolishly didnt and resulted in lost passport!
Bg is lovely,as you travel across bg you will find each area so very different!
Were are you looking to stay? is it a popular expat area? If so hotels and restraunts have a price attached? especially arbannasi in veliko turnovo!
If having hire car,make sure you find out regarding winter tyres or how to use snow chains,roads many have pot holes,but should you get bad weather,there could be other dangers on road like severe drops should you skid! not trying to frighten you but some mountain roads are very high up!
Id take a travel kettle and own coffee tea,and powdered milk,im packing a mug next time,cups like dolls teaset!
Have phone numbers of other peeps in bg,just because not in area your going to,believe me their worth having!
Have other phone numbers of hotels in other areas! As we didnt take to area we booked hotel in,so moved further across bg,but was so pleased had phone numbers! As dont speak bgn,so would of struggled finding another hotel on our own!
If dont have own transport,dont be afraid to use local transport,its cheap clean and very enjoyable! Over nite train to sofia,is worth using but is slow!
if dont speak bgn you can buy phrase books there a lot cheaper,take a note pad and pen,bulgarians find it easier writing down a price or writing down time!
Try and learn alphabet,so useful when looking for buses,but most signposts on route are translated!
Clothes to buy in shops,their very small sizes as bulgarian girls have very tiny waists,if over size 10 or small 12 then,selection very small.
men its different good selection clothes shoes!
some good bargains brand names,on the markets!
Take own phone and buy bg sim card,but do make sure you get phone unlocked before you go!or it wont work! bg phones not any saving as such i bought from bg,only advantage you dont need phone adapter to use! The top up on your new sim is very small so make sure get it topped up soon after! Have your phone numbers written down or you will have to keep swtitching sim to get each number!
If have taxi ask for a card,useful as on the back is calander in bulgarian,useful when trying to explane day and date you want taxi,or to check out etc!!
Any other questions i will try and halp with!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Tee4me
Free member

Thank you for your advice

Postby sarah85 » Sat 25 Oct 2008 23:29 GMT

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to write to me.
I will be going to Elhovo near Yambol, for about one month; I will then be going to Stara Zagora for about two months. I am going to (hopefully) buy a small house, but as I have never been to the country before, I thought it only wise to take my time to look around at various places to get a feel of the area and people. I do not think that I will be going to an ex-pat area but you never know.
If you have an opinion on these two areas (or any other areas of Bulgaria that we could explore), then please feel free to let me know; We are looking for a quiet place, maybe a small village on the outskirts of a town so there is access to amenities etc. If anywhere sounds like this to you, please let us know and we will take a look when we are there.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, as you are helping us greatly.

Sarah
Posted by:
sarah85

Bulgaria

Postby scotcouple » Sun 26 Oct 2008 15:01 GMT

Hi Sarah,
And welcome to the forums, we stay 12 kms from Elhovo so itd be great to meet up for a coffee perhaps and maybe we could show you around the surrounding areas.
We stay in Razdel which is 12 kms from Elhovo there is some very pretty little villages around there. Houses inland tend be cheaper than on the coast for obvious reasons and its also just over an hour to Burgas airport and nessebar etc.There are also some not so nice villages ie a big ex pat influence or Roma influence.
We have 7 brits in total in our village 3 couples and 1 guy including us 5 stay full time and 2 are just holiday home.

It really all depends what you are looking for?
Is there any area that you like the sound of or is it a case of just coming and looking around.
You will very quickly get a feel for a vilage when you drive through it we looked at 30 or so houses before we picked this one.

Things you need to look out for in a village is Good Access, Roma influence, Expat influence,
Don't but a house without a well,Is the house sound,Can you get internet,phone etc these things sound trivial How far are you from a airport. all things to consider but they are a necessity.
You mention Stara Zagora likewise there will be nice villages up there but Stara is very built up itself.
If I can help you at all just shout
jeanette
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
scotcouple
Free member

bg

Postby Tee4me » Sun 26 Oct 2008 17:48 GMT

hi sarah
im glad janette has answered you,their a nice couple who im in contact with to!
I hadnt realised they were so close to area your visiting! do look at all what she has mentioned,also if your use to town life,how will you enjoy the sound of animals waking you,cows,donkies,cockrals,many dogs barking! if have medical problems are you close to medical help!!
if not staying permant how much land do you want,as unless employ local to cut grass,you could find a jungle when youve been away sometime!
local rivers can and do dry up in summer so if find house near preety river,do be prepared to find you can walk across that same area in summer,unless one of the larger rivers!
tee
Posted by:
Tee4me
Free member

bg

Postby Tee4me » Sun 26 Oct 2008 17:55 GMT

sarah
remember rivers do flood,look at roads,as if mud track could get waterlogged,also may not get cleared of snow as quick as a main road!
Posted by:
Tee4me
Free member

where about are the roma in bulgaria, what to look out for?

Postby whatsnew » Sun 26 Oct 2008 19:14 GMT

Hi tee4mee and scotcouple
I hope you dont mind me asking, but where are the roma mainly, I have heard a lot of horror stories about some of the roma, could you tell me the main places they live.
I am also going to bulgaria soon to look for a house, I have also heard that some of bulgaria is just like benidorm.
Any help that you could give would be great, I have heard that a lot of the houses are built with adobe bricks which is just hard mud, have either of you any experiance of this.
I too just like sarah85 want peace and quiet, with not much expat only like minded. I want to retire and live in this country, but I am starting to worrie about the things I am hearing about the crime, roma, beggers etc...
Thanks for your time
W.
Posted by:
whatsnew

bg

Postby Tee4me » Sun 26 Oct 2008 21:29 GMT

hi whatsnew
with regard to roma if have a good alarm system,get to know your neighbours have a dog their good ways to avoid problems.i think biggest area of roma are in sofia!
if leave place open to the elemants not locked up if having renovated when your in uk,then you could get stuff taken!! Much same as in uk you would make area secure its same in bg!!
If not living in bg then opt for house that has close neighbours rather than isolated area! Would think area that resembles benedorm would be along the coast,were price of property is expensive,if want quiet then look rural! like weuve said to sarah have trip to set up company and travel around! each area is so different!!
Introduce yourself to neighbours,let them know when your going to be there,if you have large garden and only using place for holiday,offer to pay them to do the garden! This makes place look lived in and deters unwelcome visitors!
tee
Posted by:
Tee4me
Free member

Postby scotcouple » Mon 27 Oct 2008 08:43 GMT

Hi Whatsnew,
Thanks for your message, i'll do my best to answer it.
Roma, There is Roma in near enough every village in Bulgaria 90% of them are ok all they want is to live in peace and quiet just like us.
We have Roma in our village but they are no problems at all the other villagers make sure there is none as does the mayor.
We were out veiwing a house North west of Sliven we were sitting in the Agents Car when a guy appeared at the window, He was the local policeman he warned us off buying in that village as there was a huge Roma influence, we had already decided the house wasnt for us before he said that anyway so it didnt matter.
[Plugs removed by Site Admin - if you'd like to advertise, then you're very welcome to post on our Adverts board. Only £15 for 90 days! - Dave]
I mean its nearly the end of october and the sun is still shining and its still 13 c outside granted it gets a bit chilly at night but still.
As for some parts of Bulgaria beong like Benidorm thats the coast ie Sunny beach ,Golden Sands ,Nessebar, Sozopol, Ravda etc where the rices are much much higher for property and also for things like beer and food etc.
As far Adobe bricks as you call them ! yes they are over here but tend to be in more of the outhouses etc and not the main houses you will be able to spot them a mile off any way.
Crime !!! Now compared to the UK crime in Bulgaria is low, yes you hear of the Mafia etc but thats only cause unlike the Uk is not underground its open over here and they are mainly in the likes of the coast again and Sofia etc.
We stay in Razdel which is South East Bulgaria its only 12 kms from Elhovo and 50 kms from Yambol i can send you some pics if you want of our area lets you see what its like.
If I can help you at all please shout
All the best
jeanette
Posted by:
scotcouple
Free member

plugs

Postby scotcouple » Tue 28 Oct 2008 07:04 GMT

Sorry Mod wasnt meant as a direct plug.
Posted by:
scotcouple
Free member

Return to Choosing Where to Live