It is currently Thu 23 Nov 2017 09:28 GMT
Change font size

Choosing Where to Live

Moving to Bulgaria....which area?

Mountains, sea or cities, Bulgaria has a lot of variety to offer. . . But where to choose? This forum can help!

Moving to Bulgaria....which area?

Postby Bulletguy » Wed 22 Sep 2010 11:47 GMT

I am taking early retirement at the end of this year and considered selling my house here and moving to BG.

Never been before so intend first to come over in March or April 2011 for six or eight weeks to travel around different areas and get a feel for the place.

Spent many evenings trawling BG property sites so already have an idea of property prices. What I want to know is which areas would you advise me to look at first?

I understand people making quite valid points about rent first buy later, but time is not exactly on my side. I am a 60 year old single guy, so if I move would prefer it to be over and done with rather than shifting packing crates around for the next few years!
Posted by:
Bulletguy

Re: Moving to Bulgaria....which area?

Postby Trev » Wed 22 Sep 2010 14:41 GMT

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Bulletguy wrote: but time is not exactly on my side.

Agreed, better get a move on then :D

Seriously though, do take your time to find what you want. I have said it before, don't let real estate companies con you into making a hasty decision.

Prices on web sites may be quite expensive, especially now that it is a buyers market. On the ground you will probably find things quite a bit cheaper.

Trev
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Re: Moving to Bulgaria....which area?

Postby Bulletguy » Wed 22 Sep 2010 22:39 GMT

Maybe I should be a bit more specific.

I like rural or semi-rural with a few necessary local shops and facilities, but within reasonable driving distance of a town. This is pretty much the type of area i'm living here in the UK.....a large village in semi-rural area, 7mls (11km) from the nearest town.

Property does not need to be huge though would like 2 bedrooms, plus enough land to park vehicles, one of which will be a motorhome.

My intention is to use the house as a base from which I can travel to various parts of europe anything from 3 - 4 months at a time. So the type of area i'm looking for has to have a good reputation with reliable neighbours where I can feel safe in leaving a property empty for lengthy periods.

As for mixing with the neighbours etc....that I cannot speak Bulgarian doesn't bother me one bit and would not stop me from making attempts to be friendly with local folk. I've been in some pretty isolated parts of eastern europe where nobody could speak one word of english, not even 'yes' or 'no'.....but still managed to communicate.

So any suggestions on areas I should look at would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by:
Bulletguy

moving to bulgaria

Postby gronwyn » Sat 26 Feb 2011 14:48 GMT

hello,
did you finally get somewhere to live long term or are you still looking,
hopefully everthing went well.
gr
Posted by:
gronwyn

Return to Choosing Where to Live