It is currently Sun 18 Aug 2019 23:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Residency and Immigration Issues

What to do about VISAS???

Even though Bulgaria's now joined the EU, there's still a host of residency questions facing the would-be immigrant. Ask them here!

What to do about VISAS???

Postby Katastrofee » Tue 27 Jun 2006 11:31 GMT

Hello all,

I wanted some advice about VISAs. The embassy in UK seems to respond with every query I have the same way - by emailing a general info sheet, which is all well and good but doesnt answer specifics, so I though I would ask the people who have been there done that!

I want to move to BG in Aug / Sept, and if I applied for a D type Visa it would take 30 days. I'm under the impression, that with a D type, however, you cannot go in and out of the country, which is what I want the freedom to do (e.g weekends to TUrkey etc). Does this also apply with the Bulgarian ID card, as I know you need a D type to apply for an ID card?

Also, is it worth doing before the hopeful EU join? Would we have to reapply? As this would mean having to go back to UK for 30 days while our passports are sent off.

I wondered whether it was worth just doing VISA runs everytime our 90 day permitted stay (being from UK) runs out. So just popping over to Turkey or elsewhere then coming back on to BG. Is that even allowed?

Please help! We are planning to stay long term in BG so an ID card is needed really

Thanks!

Kat
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Katastrofee
Free member

Postby Quest Bulgaria » Wed 28 Jun 2006 12:54 GMT

Hello Kat

You are right, applying for a D visa in Britain will take 30 working days (maybe more depending upon time of year).

A D visa is meant to be only singly entry. But once you have applied for your residency card (lichna karte) here in Bulgaria your passport is marked and so you can go and come at any time. With a residency card you can go and come as you please.

This is all worth doing prior EU accession. There is a long period of moratorium where BG has to fall in line with EU rules; some things will change quickly others will not. So it is best to deal with things as they are now as nobody can say what will or will not change - or even when.

If you wish, you can of course pop back into other countries to renew your 30 days which you can stay without a visa. But do remember this is 30 days in any six month period.

Probably best to go to the bother of getting a D visa.

Hope this helps
All the best and if there is anything else you need, please do just ask

Quest Bulgaria
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Quest Bulgaria
Free member

Postby Katastrofee » Wed 12 Jul 2006 10:38 GMT

I was wondering if it is possible to apply for a Bulgarian ID card with a C type visa? Only the 30 day wait clashes with another trip I have planned, and I wanted to move out in September!

What's the process of getting an ID card?
Posted by:
Katastrofee
Free member

Postby Quest Bulgaria » Thu 13 Jul 2006 09:04 GMT

Hi Kat

Sorry, but you can only apply for a residency permit, lichna karte, with a D visa.
Posted by:
Quest Bulgaria
Free member

Postby CuriousGeorge » Sat 8 Aug 2009 21:02 GMT

Inorder to qualify for the Type D Visa do you have to have a job/property in Bulgaria? My girlfriend and I were thinking of going over for a year to learn Bulgarian, but we just finished college and so don't have a job and we are going to rent. What can we do to be able to stay?
Posted by:
CuriousGeorge

Return to Residency and Immigration Issues