It is currently Wed 17 Oct 2018 22:10 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Ghana – Quick Quiz
    The cradle of the Ashanti Empire and known to mediaeval European explorers as the Gold Coast, Ghana was the first country in Western Africa to achieve independence. But how much do you know about it?

Working in Bulgaria

Living off the land

What are the rules? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Living off the land

Postby Vasko » Sat 28 Jan 2006 19:39 GMT

[Edited: the following thread is in response to Kris's thread which has been chopped up as a result of our forum revamp. Sorry for any inconvenience.]

Kris wrote:

What I would be interested to hear is people's experiences of living in Bulgaria, specifically those trying to live off the land. I am aware that it would be hard work, but I'd like to know if people have done something similar.

Hi Kris,

Hats off on your courage to undertake this step.I am a 23 year-old Bulgarian lad and I will hardly imagine any of my young countrymates starting self-sufficient farming in Bulgaria itself,not to talk about another country abroad.
Self-sufficient farming is widely practiced by most people living in Bulgarian villages,predominantly elderly people who receive meagre pensions.My grandmother gets 60leva(30euro),if it was not for the higher pension of my grandfather and growing vegs,raising a few chickens it would have been very hard to survive.However,there are many people who are earning much less than her and self-sufficiency is the key for their survival.
I am well acquainted with the practice of growing vegetables and fruits in the garden,not only because it's part of Bulgarian culture but also because my family is vegetarian.So I am sure there is an excellent potential for you to implement your ideas.Moreover,the price of land is ridiculously cheap in Bulgaria and you can apply for some EU grant and loans.To give you an idea, the annual wage income of my parents(father is air-conditioner fitter,mother is math teacher) is around 6000leva(3000euro).However,they have a cherry orchard,little bit more than an acre,which brings them sometimes as much as their wage income when there is a bumper cherry season.In addition,my father is a beekeer providing fresh honey for the family,our friends and relatives.Thus,if one is not looking for any hyper luxury lifestyle,he can live off small-scale farming.
I do not want to make explicit recommendations about areas.I live in Bourgas and I like it because the climate is milder while it provides unique combination of sea and low mountains in the vicinity of the coast.
I would not mind keeping in touch and helping you whenever I am able to do so.
I am quite new to the forum and it looks like I am not allowed to send private messages,therefore,I suppose the only further means of private communication shall be via e-mail vasdim83@yahoo.com or my ICQ No 258 036 233.

Take care,
Vasko
Posted by:
Vasko

Postby sunnyskies » Fri 3 Feb 2006 14:41 GMT

Hiya Kris,
We live in a small village about 50 mins from Sofia and we plant a lot of our own veg etc.
The best idea I can suggest is come out and have a look about and see what area you fancy.
We live at the base of the Rila mountains and its ideal if you like walking etc. Our village has a real clash of modern world and old world, quite something really.
:D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sunnyskies
Free member

Postby sue71 » Tue 7 Feb 2006 12:09 GMT

How will you afford to live in bg will you start your own business?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sue71
Free member

Postby kris27uk » Thu 9 Feb 2006 10:29 GMT

Hi Sue

A few ideas at the moment. I am to be partially self-sufficient so looking to grow food, have some solar power, but life will be quite different to how I am in the UK. Looking into wood coppicing of fast growing timber to then use in an environmentally friendly biomass generator (produces heat and electricity). For some small income looking at having an outbuilding converted for holiday lets aimed at those wanting to get away from it all, paint, relax, enjoy the countryside etc

That's a rough plan anyway!!

Kris
Posted by:
kris27uk
Free member

did you get set up

Postby kgylesy » Thu 18 Sep 2008 12:58 GMT

Hi Kris,
just read you`re post regards thinking of bring self-sufficient in BG. I was wondering how you are getting on, as I would love to do the same thing. I have got a place near Rus in a peaceful village called Batishnitsa.
I wish to do it up as environmentally friendly and cheaply as possible. I too have quite a few ideas on making an income to suplement self -sufficiency. I would love to know if you are making a go of it over there in any way.
all the best
Karen
Posted by:
kgylesy

Postby bulgariasfinest » Sat 20 Sep 2008 16:56 GMT

I like the idea of being self sufficient, maybe when I retire I will give it a go
Posted by:
bulgariasfinest

Nearlly Self Sufficient

Postby thegudlife » Wed 9 Jun 2010 05:15 GMT

I have been for the last two years slowly moving towards a self sufficient life style, there are some things that have to be paid for (House Tax), and some things that you can't make for yourself. But in general if you reduce your wants down to just needs it is quite possible to be almost out of the loop.

The original post is quite old, so let us know how you got on.

Dominic
Posted by:
thegudlife
Free member

Postby edainimperial » Tue 23 Aug 2011 10:23 GMT

Hmm I'd be interested in reading a follow-up to this thread too, but looks like Kris isn't around anymore??

Bulgaria, because of the uber cheap property and cost of living has to be a fantastic place to experiment with a self-sufficient lifestyle. I've just purchased a property in a village south of Veliko Tarnovo, and when I'm able, intend to have a go.

I shall take along a bit of kit such as batteries, solar panels etc and intend to be as off-grid as possible. There's a well on the property, and just a quarter acre (1000m2) of land - but it'll do for now. Keeping chickens, maybe a goat or two, and raising veg/fruit will be the way to go. I'm under no illusions btw, it's hard work - but terrifically rewarding, as anyone who's attempted off-grid living, even in small ways, will know...

I will be cheating a little (some of you hard-bitten guys will call me a part-timer, I'm sure!) as I'm a teacher and will leave for periods of time for work (unless I can find a little in Veliko maybe - which I doubt), but we'll see.

If any fellow off-gridders/self-sufficiency artists out there would like to get in touch - that would be great!
Posted by:
edainimperial

GROWING VEGETABLES IN BULGARIA

Postby susan2 » Mon 18 Feb 2013 07:24 GMT

Tell me if you could please does the planting season differ from in England here in Bulgaria due to the temperature and the climate.? :?:
Posted by:
susan2

Return to Working in Bulgaria