It is currently Wed 23 Aug 2017 06:13 GMT
Change font size

Money Matters

Retiring and access to UK bank account

No, really... it does! But does it matter more in Bulgaria than at home? NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash. (Property related issues should go in the Housing/Property forum.)

Retiring and access to UK bank account

Postby nicole24 » Fri 14 Jul 2006 11:07 GMT

I'm hoping to invest in a small home near Yambol for my father to retire and set up a little camping place for cyclists/walkers etc. I have read Buying Property in Bulgaria which filled me in on the Ltd company lark and taxes and fees during the buy, but one thing that is confusing me is the need to get an accountant and bank accounts.

My Dad will get his monthly pension paid into his UK account and I was wondering whether there are any others out there who have retired to BG and can inform me of how they access their money without getting charged with the UK banks or the BG banks. It all sounds rather confusing and is putting me off somewhat so if anyone can help me, i'd be most grateful!!

Thank you :D
Posted by:
nicole24

Postby Kay » Fri 14 Jul 2006 11:41 GMT

Hi Nicole

One option - not necessarily the best one for your father, you should shop around to see how to minimise charges and maximise your money - would be to go through a currency broker, such as Currency UK. See their banner on the right. We've used them for transferring our own money in the past and were pleased with their service.

For regular transfers, such as pensions, it works like this. First you need to set up an account with Currency UK. Then set up a standing order from the UK bank to Currency UK's client account (this is held with HSBC) , then Currency UK (CUK) does the exchange and transfers it to your account in the foreign country.

Our bank wanted to charge us 1% for currency exchange. As we were transferring money to buy a house you can imagine that we were not pleased at the thought of that! CUK does not charge anything for the transfer. (Being currency brokers, they are effectively wholesalers of currency and make their money by getting better rates than the banks will offer you, thus they can pass on discounted rates to you and still make a profit.)

If you do decide that this is the best option for you/your father, please use our links as we get commission (at no extra cost to you).

As I said, their banner is on the right...

Hope this helps.

Kay
Kay's Blog - My blog about online business and earning money online.

Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby zebra » Sat 8 Nov 2014 09:06 GMT

SIMPLE ANSWER IS, KEEP OPEN YOUR UK BANK ACCOUNT YOUR PENSION GOES INTO THEN DRAW YOUR MONEY OUT OF ANY (ATM) WALL DISPENSER AT ANY BULGARIAN BANK THAT DISPLAYS THE (VISA) LOGO. SIMPLE. THE EXCHANGE TO LEV WILL HAVE BEEN MADE ALREADY. YOUR FOUR DIDGIT CARD NUMBER IS JUST THE SAME AS IN UK.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
zebra
Free member

Return to Money Matters