It is currently Mon 11 Dec 2017 13:36 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Belgium – Quick Quiz
    Belgium's one of the United Kingdom's closest neighbours. But how much do you know about it beyond beer, chocolates and the EU? Take our quiz and find out!

Schools/Education

Moving to Bulgaria / Language

If you've got kids of school age, or you're considering studying in Bulgaria yourself, this is where to post.

Moving to Bulgaria / Language

Postby shaza » Wed 17 Nov 2004 16:28 GMT

Hi There,
We are moving to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks. We have bought a house near Burgas.
I am wondering if there is anyone who can teach Bulgarian to me once i am over there.
I have been to Bulgaria a few times and found it really frustrating not knowing any of the language. I intend to live there and think that you should learn the language of the country tou intend to live in.
So if there is anyone who can i help i would be more than grateful.
Posted by:
shaza

Language

Postby travelling scot » Sun 21 Nov 2004 09:46 GMT

There will be teachers of English in Burgas,and some of them will be happy to try and teach you Bulgarian. Their salary in a state school is about 250 leva (90 pounds ?)a month,and in a private school about 4/5 leva per hour, with private lessons advertised at 5/10 leva per hour,so you should find a teacher for that price.
I find the language a problem,as my attempts to even order drinks result in blank looks. Unless you get the stress and rhythm correct, Bulgarians seem puzzled. I have found enough people speaking English to get by without yet mastering Bg.
Another advantage is that i can sit in cheaper cafes and totally relax without being able to understand the rubbish that people talk-soaps, relationships, health,the new big brother etc. Also when i go shopping i am left alone rather than having an assistant jump on me to force me to buy something in order to boost her salary-many aspects of life here are like UK years ago.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
travelling scot
Free member

Postby SillyYak » Thu 23 Jun 2005 14:40 GMT

I bought a Teach yourself Bulgarian book with 2 CD's from Amazon for a whole pound!! ha ha (go to the 2nd hand section underneath the article), you can hear (CD)and see(book) where the stresses are in the syllables. They are very important. For example, if you say Kola with the stress on the 'o' or kola with the stress on the 'a' you will end up with either a drink or a car!! :shock:

With a book and tape/cd you can actually hear native speakers and the way it should sound in your own time and pace. It makes you quite good really quickly and very confident. I'm loving it and am already comfortable with the Cyrillic alphabet which was handy when we were driving around last week (just got back from a hol in Nessebur). Because i could read the road signs (usually phoenetic thank goodness) and no one else could, although they'd all been there at least 5-6 times before. (it was my first time in Bulgaria)

I think it is good manners to learn the language of the country you are living in.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
SillyYak
Free member

Re: Language

Postby mastylo » Thu 20 Mar 2008 17:44 GMT

travelling scot wrote: Another advantage is that i can sit in cheaper cafes and totally relax without being able to understand the rubbish that people talk-soaps, relationships, health,the new big brother etc.

How do you know these are the common conversations if you don`t understand the lingo? :roll:
To be honest, for the very first time I see a person claiming it`s an advantage if you don`t speak a foreign language.... :?
Posted by:
mastylo
Free member

Return to Schools/Education