It is currently Thu 14 Dec 2017 10:16 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Belgium – Quick Quiz
    Belgium's one of the United Kingdom's closest neighbours. But how much do you know about it beyond beer, chocolates and the EU? Take our quiz and find out!

Schools/Education

How do I teach myself bulgarian?

If you've got kids of school age, or you're considering studying in Bulgaria yourself, this is where to post.

How do I teach myself bulgarian?

Postby Zacbr745 » Sun 8 Jul 2007 20:06 GMT

I want to be able to understand and speak a bit of bulgarian, but it's hard to find resources.. dictionaries, lessons, vocab lists, to teach myself... a lot of russian words seem to be similar, and the languages sound fairly similar, is learning basic russian better than going with nothing, and if so, how much?

I'll only be there for 3 weeks, so anything I can do before I leave which will help me pick up the language quickly once I'm there would be good. I have a textbook from the 1960's for learning bulgarian, but no resource which tells me how the vocab should sound when spoken. If you sound out bulgarian words do you get the pronunciation more or less right?
Can anyone help me with this? it'd be great to hear any advice you've got. Thanks very much
Briary
Posted by:
Zacbr745

Postby VickyJo » Mon 9 Jul 2007 09:25 GMT

Briary

We move to Bulgaria in August and have recently bought a book and cd called Teach yourself Bulgarian. Try that, it seems to be working ok for us but we'll know for sure a week on Sunday when we go for a holiday!!

Vicky
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
VickyJo
Free member

Postby mredmond » Thu 19 Jul 2007 13:36 GMT

we did the same very hard though, keep at it, itll come
Posted by:
mredmond

Postby mastylo » Thu 20 Mar 2008 17:21 GMT

Dear Briary,
Please don`t waste your time with textbooks from 1960. The language is quite different at present.
I hope this web page might be useful:
http://www.hf.uio.no/ilos/studier/stude ... index.html
Keep practising and don`t hesitate to contact me, if you have any problems.
Kind regards,
Boris
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mastylo
Free member

Return to Schools/Education