It is currently Sat 19 Aug 2017 09:25 GMT
Change font size

Health and Medical

Health Care Costs in Bulgaria?

Concerned about how to stay healthy in Bulgaria, or what to do in case of accidents? Find out more about the options here.

Health Care Costs in Bulgaria?

Postby thehermitage99 » Sat 7 Jun 2014 12:48 GMT

Hello All,

I am taking early retirement at the end of 2014 and my wife and I have decided we are going to leave the UK.. I will be 50, my wife 49. We have considered emigrating to several European countries but the cost of healthcare has been too much for the pension we are due to receive.

We are currently considering Bulgaria as it would appear to have a state healthcare system that we can afford to join in with however we are finding it difficult to get up to date information on how the Bulgarian helathcare system fits in with early retirees from the UK..... So here goes:

1) as early retirees living full time in Bulgaria, would we be eligible to join the Bulgarian state healthcare system?
2) if yes, would there be a time delay which we would need to cover with private (and very expensive) private healthcare cover?
3) if we can join the Bulgarian state healthcare system, does anyone have any idea roughly how much it would cost monthly for the two of us?

Any information you can give us would be of great help... thanks very much.

Bryan and Jelena Griffiths
Posted by:
thehermitage99

Postby Dave » Sat 14 Jun 2014 14:46 GMT

Hi, and sorry for the delay in replying to you.

I'm not an expert (in fact I've never been to Bulgaria, unless you count Bulgarian airspace). But from the NHS website it looks as if you might be eligible for up to 2½ years of healthcare via EU arrangements if you can obtain a Form E106.

If that's long enough to get a residence permit, then you should be fine - once you've got leave to remain in Bulgaria long-term, you'll not only be able to subscribe to the National Health Insurance Fund, you'll be obliged to! I'm not sure whether you can subscribe voluntarily - the NHIF website doesn't say.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Health and Medical