It is currently Tue 24 Oct 2017 02:10 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go back this weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go back an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 October.

Driving in Bulgaria

Bringing my Suzuki Grand Vitara to Sunny Beach.

Getting around Bulgaria by road can be a tricky business! Share your experiences here, and find out how to cope.

Bringing my Suzuki Grand Vitara to Sunny Beach.

Postby Supertyke » Sat 15 Mar 2014 02:32 GMT

Can anyone please help and advise me. I have my above mentioned car currently in Russia with my wife that I drove to Moscow after meeting her at Brussels Airport in November 2012. Sadly the garage here didn't do as I asked I left the UK coolant in the car instead of a stronger variant. Consequently though we met snow on the Latvian border, I was not phased when some week later the weather deteriorated in air temperature down to -25C when we were driving to our datcha. We stopped just outside Ryazan for a meal and upon continuing the journey the radiator was frozen and consequently the cylinder head gasket blew. The car had to be left in Russia & in September 2013 when I attempted to drive out of Russia to our apartment in Bulgaria, the car's transmission broke after meddling by the garage in Russia. Now repaired again, the car has outstayed its welcome & I return in April 2014, to pay the fine and remove the car with my wife & many of her possessions. She wants me to drive out of Russia & then she can share the driving with me through Europe to Sunny Bay in Bulgaria.. Only she has been there of yet but she tells me that I can leave the car in a secure compound with many other foreign cars of other residents. I then will either fly to the UK from Sofia or wherever. Having found I could only leave my/our car in Russia for up to a year, I need to ascertain how long we can leave the car in Bulgaria or the cost of re registering there.

Can anyone help. The rule & blogs I have seen are up to 10 year old but whether they still exist or has there been a change now they are in the EU? Can I indeed leave Bulgaria as I did Russia via a different method of entry/exit without having the passport noted as we are all in the EU now. I drive into France, Belgium, Holland, Germany etc without any border control so why not Bulgaria now?
Posted by:
Supertyke

Return to Driving in Bulgaria