It is currently Mon 19 Feb 2018 17:43 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Jamaica – Quick Quiz
    Although it's no longer an unsullied tropical Paradise - if indeed it ever was - Jamaica still has plenty about it to fascinate and enchant the visitor. How much do you know about the Caribbean's third largest island?

Driving in Bulgaria

buying a car in Bulgaria

Getting around Bulgaria by road can be a tricky business! Share your experiences here, and find out how to cope.

buying a car in Bulgaria

Postby jhickmanbell » Thu 13 Jul 2006 21:12 GMT

Are there any things we should know when buying a car in Bulgaria with a view to leaving it there, for when we are on holidays , to save on car hire all the time.Do they have a tax to pay on them like here in the uk? :?:
Posted by:
jhickmanbell

Postby skippiebg » Fri 14 Jul 2006 08:43 GMT

I keep my BG and UK driving well apart and it suits me fine. Buy an import from the EU. There are huge numbers of Bulgars who regularly travel to Germany, Belgium and all over the EU to bring back transporter lots of good used cars. Most of the time, they buy off local dealers there at discount rates, so you can see your car on the Web before approving it. Many will register it for you on arrival -- you just trail along and show your IDs, they do the hard stuff (takes about a day of traipsing, all in). You pay a premium over EU going rates for the year/car because of the importer's living expenses and margins. I reckon this premium is about 10%, maybe a bit more.

Been told not to buy locally whatever I do. Dodgy title, nicked motors, iffy service histories -- just like in the UK, really :)

One other thing -- get your car looked after in BG while you are away. Someone ought to start her up and run her for 5 mins a week, and generally keept it looking ok and not abandoned. A bottle or two of Scotch sorts things out nicely payment wise, or Baileys if it's a lady.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
skippiebg
Free member

Postby jhickmanbell » Fri 14 Jul 2006 15:29 GMT

what are the websites that I can look at please.Thank you for the information was a bit worried about buying locally anyway.
julie
Posted by:
jhickmanbell

Postby skippiebg » Fri 14 Jul 2006 16:20 GMT

Hey, this is Bulgie-land! No websites, c'mooo-o-n!

Just ask the locals (waiters, cabbies, barbers, chaps that hang out at the nearest "kapanche") who "the bloke" is that toes and froes to Austria or Germany or Holland for cars. They'll usually say "emi, sha vidim" ("well, we shall see"), and you'll have a couple of names ang "GSM's" within a couple of days. That's how the Bulgie-land internet works :)

["tryAAbva mee telefOHna na chovEHk vnosEEHtel na kolEE, mOHlya" -- "I am in need of the phone number of a man who's an importer of cars, please" -- is the golden phrase, along with a proffered bit of paper and a pencil.]

The websites I wrote about are German and Dutch, etc. On them, the dealers display each individual car until it's sold, with year and mileage (well, okay, kilometrage...) and other details like kiddy seats, new tyres, etc. When "the bloke" comes round, he'll show you which dealers he works with, and give you their website addresses. You can also ask him to look elsewhere, provided it's close to, or on, his route, if for some reason you dislike the look of the dealers he works with. Sites tend to have English versions, or else you can use Babel Fish to translate them for you from German (not Dutch...)

You then either pick a car out and get "the bloke" to go for that car, or else you give him the spec and he finds something for you within that spec. In the latter case, he sends you an "SMS" with a website link, you open the link, and presto -- your putative future motor's on there! You give it the thumbs up or thumbs down, TXT your "bloke" with a "da" or a "ne" and er-r... that's all, bar the registering at the local KAT a few days later.

Oh, nearly forgot, you have to give "the bloke" money before he goes off, otherwise he can't jolly well get the motor. Which means that... you have to be generally happy with his face and general probity as much as you can judge all that on prima vista. Not heard any horror stories, though.

Oh, and when you go to KAT, don't forget to take along the usual suitcase's worth of bumph, including birth certificates, nursery school and translations, and ID cards... This is Bulgie-land!

Brands to go for in Bulgaria are Peugeot (strangely, the most imported make), Ford, Opel (German Vauxhall), Renault, and if you're particularly grand, Mercedes. Avoid Japanese brands, even if made in Europe, coz Bulgars seem to dislike them and you may be stuck for parts and service. Citroen, Fiat, Seat etc seem to be the reps cars, not very popular with family owners. And you'll get a free round of drinks at your local if you bring a Range-Rover over!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
skippiebg
Free member

purchasing a car in BG

Postby carol morton » Sun 7 Jun 2009 16:37 GMT

Hi there

I have recently helped out a local BG lad here in the UK while he was trying to secure some employment here. Unfortunately the amount of red tape he needed to get through to get a job was too much and he went back home. While in the UK to help me out he got his father to have a look at a few cars on my behalf. His father also took along a friend ( a local police man ) to make sure everything was in order. Together we decided upon one of the cars. He bought it on my behalf ( after I sent over the money ) and I intend to buy it off him when I go over in June. You sopke of taking a lot of documentation but didnt clarify what. Can you be a little motre specific? :?
Posted by:
carol morton

can't buy a car

Postby widdley24 » Thu 30 Jul 2009 19:24 GMT

This is a bit of info for anyone wisjing to buy a car in BG now. If anyone knows anything different, PLEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE let me know.

Before they phased out giving the proper lichna carta to foreigners, we were able to legally buy a car in your own name, now however that they only give these new rubbish paper laminated cards that no longer say "lichna carta" you can no longer buiy a car in your own name, you can buy it in the companys name(if you have a company) if you bought an apartment the chances are you won't have a company and then you can never buy a car in Bulgaria., We have had nothing but problems trying to buy this car and have had to get a bulgarian that we hardly know to put it in their name until we can get our company docs together to "buy" it off him. this is so wrong, we can spen 6000 levs on expensive fencing round the house, but can't buy a car. Any help or advice please, thank you.
Posted by:
widdley24

Return to Driving in Bulgaria