It is currently Sun 27 May 2018 12:04 GMT
Change font size

Driving in Bulgaria

Driving to bulgaria

Getting around Bulgaria by road can be a tricky business! Share your experiences here, and find out how to cope.

Driving to bulgaria

Postby Ewen » Sat 13 Jan 2007 18:33 GMT

hi all
my wife and i have now sold the house and packed all the kids off on there merry way and are now going to move to a new life in bulgaria, (veliko tarnovo area) we have got a range rover and a caravan and will be comming out late jan early feb, has anyone ever drove there?
and are there any places to avoid on the way?
We haven't got any pre conceptions of how easy it is going to be just want to buy a house and live happily ever after .... you must all know what i mean....
plus we will be interested in finding a small town or village with at least a few brits and a pub ect.
dose anyone think this is a bad idea???????
please be quick with your answers as there is only a few weeks to go
my msn name ( dont know if i can give it out on here but im sure they will edit it if im not)
ewe1v@hotmail.com
anyone with any advice.... please get in touch
thanks, byeeeee
Posted by:
Ewen

We're Driving Too

Postby Naomi ODonovan » Sat 20 Jan 2007 13:30 GMT

Hello Ewen,

My husband and I (plus 4 kids) are planning the same thing. Let us know what you found out.

One tid-bit of info I've found is that if you drive a car into Bulgaria, you have to drive it out again. I guess they don't want people bringing in cars to sell 'under the radar'?

Regards,
Naomi
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Naomi ODonovan
Free member

driving there

Postby Ewen » Mon 22 Jan 2007 13:14 GMT

yes, i have done quite a lot of research on the in's and outs but thanks for the tip
when are you planning on going? we will post a new message when we get there letting you know how it went and the best places to stop and avoid.
we kind of know the route we will take but would like some info from people who have made the trip, but no luck so far....
the adventure begins....
Posted by:
Ewen

Looking forward to hearing about the trip...

Postby Naomi ODonovan » Tue 23 Jan 2007 21:10 GMT

We'll be looking forward to reading about the adventure! Any tips you can pass our way would be great. We probably will be coming over April or May; depending on how soon we can organize things.

All the best,
Naomi
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Naomi ODonovan
Free member

driving to bulgaria

Postby whittle painters » Thu 26 Jul 2007 15:28 GMT

i have just driven over to bulgairia and it took 4 days to get there,and three to get bk home,the route that we took was through viamitchelin.com,but plz dont take there recomended route try to avoid croatia and serbia and head for hungary and romania,i would recomend that way,its the first time i ever done it and id say out of 13 different countries that we went through,we got lost by about a 150 miles,not bad ay,if you need ne more info plz feel free to mail me on holyheadshit@hotmail.co.uk ne time, good luck,,
Posted by:
whittle painters

Driving to Bulgaria

Postby Chunk » Thu 23 Aug 2007 15:16 GMT

For anyone considering driving to bulgaria Do Not drive through Serbia,i just took a transit van over there and i had to pay 280 euros just to drive through Serbia.It took 48 hours to drive from london to spasovo (near Dobrich).I drove back through Romania it took 4 hours longer but a lot cheaper.
Posted by:
Chunk

Postby Quest Bulgaria » Fri 24 Aug 2007 10:08 GMT

This is interesting. We've had some very mixed reports about coming to Bulgaria via Serbia anf Croatia.

The choice from our readers seems to be the France, Italy, Greece route as the best as it is all inside the EU, so no problems.

All the best
Jain
Posted by:
Quest Bulgaria
Free member

Postby jayorey » Sat 25 Aug 2007 09:32 GMT

Hi Ewen i have two friends who drive in and out of Bulgaria at least 3 times a year. They take the Romanian route through hungery and so on to France. They live full time in Bg and would help you with any queries you have.
[Property ad deleted by Site Admin]

Tracy
Posted by:
jayorey
Free member

Driving to BG with caravan

Postby AlecH » Mon 3 Sep 2007 08:08 GMT

Hi Ewen,

Sounds like we are doing the same thing from the same area mate, We hope to complete on the sale of our house in Manchester in the next few weeks and will also be taking a caravan overland to a village near VT. We hope to leave early october and would be happy to pass on any thing we learn on the way. I have friends who live over there and he has told me to travel Hungary, Romania into BG so will be taking his advice. Will let you know how we get on.
Posted by:
AlecH
Free member

How about via Italy?

Postby jghbrown » Sat 8 Sep 2007 10:44 GMT

It seems on the face of it that if you went France Italy Greece Bulgaria it would involve the fewest number of borders and the least hassle. Of course you would have to take a ferry between Italy and Greece, which might be quite expensive. Has anyone tried/investigated this route?
Posted by:
jghbrown

Postby fido » Mon 19 Nov 2007 08:18 GMT

I think you can get a ferry from Bari in Italy to Thesprotia in Greece. I could not find fares for that but the one that goes further south to Patras is quite expensive.

[Link removed by Site Admin. Please read our guidelines. - Dave]
Posted by:
fido
Free member

Return to Driving in Bulgaria