It is currently Tue 20 Feb 2018 23:28 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Jamaica – Quick Quiz
    Although it's no longer an unsullied tropical Paradise - if indeed it ever was - Jamaica still has plenty about it to fascinate and enchant the visitor. How much do you know about the Caribbean's third largest island?

Driving in Bulgaria

Bringing a UK car to BG

Getting around Bulgaria by road can be a tricky business! Share your experiences here, and find out how to cope.

Bringing a UK car to BG

Postby AlecH » Mon 3 Sep 2007 08:42 GMT

I have read all the posts about bringing a UK car to BG. Is this all still relevant or have the laws been relaxed now that BG is a full EU member.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
AlecH
Free member

Postby jayorey » Fri 14 Sep 2007 17:12 GMT

Hi Alek no the laws havent been relaxed in fact there are a lot of people in BG having a problem getting their cars registered.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
jayorey
Free member

Taking a vehicle to Bulgaria

Postby CR » Wed 19 Sep 2007 07:32 GMT

Can anyone point me in a direction to find out the actual laws and requirments as they stand re taking a UK vehicle to Bulgaria, Ive been trying to find out for some time, and all I seem to get is conflicting info, does anyone know of a official website where the info is available please.

Thanks
Posted by:
CR
Free member

vehicles from UK to Bulgaria

Postby CR » Tue 20 Nov 2007 11:32 GMT

jayorey, could you please tell us what you base your info on? is your info just relating to registering a car in BG?
What I need to know is do they still require you to leave with the vehicle you entered with? (or register it there)

I have a couple of friends in BG who say that things have now changed, you dont have to leave with the vehicle you arrived in.
I have also received info from several others saying the same, I dont care about how dificult it is to register your vehicle once your there, I can sort that out later (But again, just yesterday I spoke to a friend of mine in BG and he said it was easy to register a vehicle there) I think it may depend on what area your in, but he his near Stara Zagora.

We intend to take a 7.5 tn wagon over in the new year, we then intend to sell it over there without re-registering it, and fly back. I spoke to a car dealer last time I was there and he will quite happily buy it on UK plates.

Can we please have some advice from people who have done the trip since BG got full membership of the EU (after Jan 2007)

I think the problem is people are here prior to moving looking for info, then when they actually move, they are too busy to log back on and forget about it.
I have just read another post from someone who was driving out in october and said they would post back, and nothing to date.

Come on people, you remember what it was like! please please post your info and experiences, let have some advice from the horses mouth.
Posted by:
CR
Free member

Postby Rino » Tue 27 Nov 2007 17:19 GMT

Hi

100% sure you do not have to leave with your car that you drove here even if you dont register it here. Registering it is a time consuming process but not comlicated. Takes just a day or two in the traffic police. Dont believe all the horror stories. Life can be good here.
Posted by:
Rino
Free member

Thanks

Postby CR » Tue 27 Nov 2007 20:11 GMT

Thanks Rino, Just what we needed to hear.

all the best
Posted by:
CR
Free member

Re: Taking a vehicle to Bulgaria

Postby contron » Sun 6 Jan 2008 20:24 GMT

CR wrote:Can anyone point me in a direction to find out the actual laws and requirments as they stand re taking a UK vehicle to Bulgaria, Ive been trying to find out for some time, and all I seem to get is conflicting info, does anyone know of a official website where the info is available please.

Thanks

:D Hi! I am taking a 4x4 to BG shortly, & my BG friend says he takes cars from London to BG quite regulary, & has no problem at all in regestering them there, but advises if RHD? & most are, don't spend lots of money because they are only valued has scrap when you want to sell them, Bulgarians won't buy RHD cars. :oops:
Posted by:
contron

Postby dzheepa » Mon 7 Jan 2008 22:11 GMT

I live and have lived in BG for 3 months now and have done the trip twice, first time through Serbia and the second through Romania. If you have plenty of time to drive and can afford to stay in hotels it would be a wonderful time driving (but time is the key). I did'nt have the time to relax on the journey and it really was a very, very hard drive, driving through the day and night it took 5 days, sleeping in petrol stations freezing cold. I guess when you take your wagon you will do the same unless you have very good locks and a alarm system, but for me it was to much to lose and I had to stay with my vehicle.
I hope this does not put you off.
Posted by:
dzheepa

Postby contron » Tue 8 Jan 2008 11:58 GMT

dzheepa wrote:I hope this does not put you off.
:D No problems here I have a VERY expearienced Young Bulgarian driver who has done the trip many times, & we will share the driving, so no overnights it's 12 hours on 12 hours off & nice & warm. Wouldn't attempt it on my own. You can't book hotels in advance you don't know how far you will get each day, so this is how the Bulgarians do it if they want a car 2 or even 4 of them go for it & share the driving. SIMPLE?
Posted by:
contron

Postby VickyJo » Fri 21 Mar 2008 14:56 GMT

Hi all

Thought I would let you know of our experience of driving to Bulgaria from the UK.

We left on Sunday night, 16 March on the overnight ferry from Hull to Belgium. Disembarked at 9am on Monday morning (17 March). Drove till 7pm (obviously stopping every now and again for toilet breaks) and had a few hours sleep in Austria (stopped at the first services we came across after the border). Because of all the things that we brought over from England we had to sleep in the car. Woke up about 10pm and my husband drove through the rest of Austria but then we stopped again around 1am on 18 March. Had a few more hours sleep and set off again at 5am. Had an hours delay because of the snow plows in Croatia. Got to Serbia sometime that morning (not sure of the time) but we were in Bulgaria by 5pm that night. Had no problems with border controls at all until we got to Bulgaria. In the other countries we just showed them our passports and we were waved through, in Bulgaria we had to show all our documents 5 or 6 times. Do not forget to get your vignette when you get to Austria and Bulgaria either. Remember to get a Green Card and take your insurance policy with you when you drive over and check the names on it. I was going to take over driving once we were through the border of Bulgaria but because (our fault this!!) we didn't check the names on the green card I couldn't drive as I was not named on it.

We got to our house in Malomir (near Yambol) around 11pm that night, stopped on the motorway (A1) for something to eat and drink.

It cost approximately 200 euros in petrol and 40 euros in tolls.

Avoid filling up your tank in Croatia if you are paying in euros, as they will not accept euros, only their currency.

It took us approximately 38 hours to get from Belgium to Bulgaria. Luckily my husband doesn't need much sleep.

Hope I've been of help to anyone driving from the UK to Bulgaria.

Vicky
Posted by:
VickyJo
Free member

Postby house of payne » Fri 21 Mar 2008 20:01 GMT

hi vicky
very good information thanks.
you mention to get a vignette?is this there tax system and where do you get this from.
we will be driving over next year with all our possesions and a caravan and would like like to make it as easy as possible!
mark + sue
Posted by:
house of payne
Free member

Return to Driving in Bulgaria