It is currently Sun 23 Sep 2018 23:43 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Paraguay – Quick Quiz
    Paraguay, named after the river that flows centrally through it, is one of just two landlocked countries in the Americas. What else do you know about it?

International Transportation

Bulgaria via Bucharest

All about flights, rail and freight connections with Bulgaria.

Bulgaria via Bucharest

Postby nephrotic » Wed 28 Nov 2007 09:05 GMT

Having just bought in V Tarnovo, it seems that it may be just as easy to fly to Bucharest and take the Bucharest to Istanbul train down to VT.
Has anybody done this? Is it practical?
Probably going to go for 3 days just to check progress in about 10 days and it would save the hassle of car hire.
Thanks
David
(V Tarnovo)
Posted by:
nephrotic

Postby fido » Sat 26 Jan 2008 16:23 GMT

I have gone to Bulgaria via Bucharest but I got a taxi to the border where I was getting a lift to VT. The trains are very slow and tatty but there are plenty of people who do use them for that journey, as they also do crossing the southern border to Istanbul. You can't hire a car in Romania and cross the border to Bulgaria, the hire companies do not allow this.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
fido
Free member

Postby Milen » Wed 30 Jan 2008 10:16 GMT

nephrotic,

I've traveled with this train few times and I don't recommend it. It's slow, it's stinky and full of potential thieves. I suggest you get a car and go to Bucharesht. It about 2h by car from Veliko Turnovo (through Rousse).

As for the car rent companies, you should ask them if they allow border crossing.

PS: Go to the V.Turnovo's bus station (near the railwaystation) and ask for bus routes to Bucharesht. There are plenty of travel companies which have everyday trips to the neighbouring countries.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Milen
Free member

Return to International Transportation