It is currently Thu 23 Nov 2017 09:34 GMT
Change font size

ICT and electrical

wire in a cooker and hob

All about Internet service providers, cable and satellite TV, telephones, electrical goods, power supply...

wire in a cooker and hob

Postby nonez » Thu 10 May 2007 10:31 GMT

hi..how easy is it to wire in a cooker and hob in bulgaria. uk no problem with cooker boxes .i have not seen any houses in bulgaria do they have them or do they do it another way .any info please
Posted by:
nonez

Bulgarian Wiring

Postby CR » Fri 14 Sep 2007 11:21 GMT

Hi, Im quite new to bulgaria, we have just got back from our first visit where we purchased two houses, one as a holiday home and one to renovate and sell.
I am a UK electrician, living in France, I did some checking while there on the basics, so although this info will not be complete it should help.

The bulgarian electrical system 220v at 50htz is of course compatible, we visited several houses and did not see a consumer unit (fuse box) it seems that the bulgarian system works much like the french system, you get two incomming wires, possitive and nutral, you may have to supply your own earth (as is the case in france) one agent tried to tell me that the earth is done at the nearest post, and indeed it did look like the post had a earth spike, but there where still only two wires going to the house, so therefore it was not earthed.

I checked supplies at a local DIY store and they do sell consumer units, your house may allready have one? if you tell me what you have, or email me a photo I may be able to advise better, but if you do not have one (as seems to be the case in a lot of older houses) then you need to fit one, the fuse trip outs are all single fused (its just the positive thats fused like the uk, its both in france) there does not seem to be a dedicated spare feed for cookers, the bulgarians seem to just plug them in, but I would advice a dedicated 20amp spare.

Hope all this makes sence, and if not please feel free to email me.

Kind regards

Chris
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
CR
Free member

Postby derik » Sun 14 Oct 2007 21:44 GMT

I bought an older type house in Bulgaria, and had it renovated by a bulgarian builder, he had modern type consumer unit fitted with wiring direct to the cooker with 20amp fuse. many older bg houses never used electric cookers, they just cook on open fire or on barbecue in the back of house. getting an electric bill for many in bg is a big exspense,so they use little as possible
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
derik
Free member

Postby fido » Tue 20 Nov 2007 08:33 GMT

It sounds like you can do your own wiring then, you don't have to get a licenced sparky?
Posted by:
fido
Free member

Sparky

Postby CR » Tue 20 Nov 2007 10:41 GMT

Thats right, you can do your own, Im trying to find out if there is regulations that have to be passed.
for example in france you are allowed to do your own, but before the electric board will connect you, you have to pay to have it inspected and if its not to the regulations they fail it and you have to resolve the issue and pay for inspection again.

Does anyone know if there is a similar system in BG?
Posted by:
CR
Free member

Postby fido » Tue 20 Nov 2007 13:41 GMT

Incidentally, my house in Scotland only has single core armoured cable coming in from the road so the earth to neutral connection is made within the property. I have run an earth wire to a length of 22mm copper pipe buried just outside the building so there is some form of earth.
Posted by:
fido
Free member

earth

Postby CR » Tue 20 Nov 2007 22:53 GMT

That will work fine, in france the earth is also done at the property, but here they sell earth spikes, basicaly a 1mtr bar that you drive into the earth, with a connection for the earth cable.
Posted by:
CR
Free member

Earthing

Postby AlecH » Sat 10 Jan 2009 17:53 GMT

The way they earth here in Bulgaria is back through the neutral. Most old houses only use two core cable so obviously there is no cable for earth. They quite simply connect a small loop wire from the earth terminal to the blue neutral terminal in the plug and socket which runs back to the earth spike wherever it is located.
Hope this helps.
Posted by:
AlecH
Free member

Return to ICT and electrical