It is currently Wed 13 Nov 2019 16:45 GMT
Change font size

Making the most of the Internet

bbc.co.uk audio & video

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

bbc.co.uk audio & video

Postby ruggie » Fri 29 Sep 2006 19:26 GMT

A search of BBC Audio & Video on www.bbc.co.uk yielded plenty of interesting results - but every time I tried to play one of them, I got the message 'We are sorry, the item you have selected is only available to UK viewers'.

1. How do they know I'm in France? Because of my ISP, I suppose.
2. Why the restriction? Are they afraid of the potential bandwidth use, or is it a business decision (e.g. would it bypass some satellite TV pay-yo-view channel or something like that)?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 29 Sep 2006 19:47 GMT

Sorry, Ruggie, this isn't an answer - just a sympathetic viewpoint. We've also been excited to see that something we particularly wanted to watch was available, and then been disappointed that it wasn't available to us. We would be more than happy to pay a subscription to the BBC to watch good stuff but it's not yet (legally) available. There's only BBC Prime which offers a complete load of dated crap. No thanks. :evil:

We've found sites which offer downloads of all kinds of TV programmes including UK and US popular ones. But we've not been convinced that any of them are legal so we've not done it. I don't understand why we can't buy a service which we are prepared to pay for.

Perhaps it's because they're afraid of pirating. But people will do it anyway...

I dunno. :?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 30 Sep 2006 02:09 GMT

You're right, Ruggie - they know where you are through your IP number. (I gather that it's possible - if you've got the technical knowledge - to mask your IP number and appear to be in the UK, in which case presumably you'd be able to fool the BBC's system.)

As for why they do it, I'm pretty sure it's a copyright/licence fee issue. When we came across this problem earlier this year, I'm pretty sure their "Sorry" message said that they were working on the possibility of a subscription service for overseas users. But evidently they haven't got all the way down that particular track yet.

Channel 4 offer a limited amount of stuff, for what that's worth. I'm not sure about ITV, although I seem to remember that STV offer some. (An episode or two of Taggart wouldn't go amiss...)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 30 Sep 2006 08:37 GMT

...but the stuff I wanted to see was all topical news-related, not entertainment videos.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 30 Sep 2006 12:49 GMT

You want to look into proxy servers. I sometimes use anonymous proxy servers when I wish to be, well, anonymous.

Here is a place you may wish to try: http://www.freeproxy.ch/country-UK.htm

Basically, you just enter the IP address in your browser settings (look for the term "Proxy"), and all requests are routed through, and appear to be from, that IP address. I would imagine that would get round the restriction. If I get time later, I'll give it a try.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby ruggie » Sun 1 Oct 2006 17:04 GMT

That's an interesting site. Must spend a bit longer browsing it. Haven't tried using it to read BBC videos yet - I got waylaid crawling around the site!
Last edited by ruggie on Tue 3 Oct 2006 18:09 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Tue 3 Oct 2006 02:16 GMT

Just given it a try - unfortunately I was rumbled. Maybe I should have cleared my BBC cookies first...

I'll give it another go when I next log on using Windoze.

BTW, I see that it is now possible to subscribe to BBC News in broadband, for $4.95 a month or $39.95 a year. (You can see their low-bandwidth clips internationally without subscribing.)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 3 Oct 2006 02:28 GMT

Mmm, just given it a try myself. Didn't work for me because I couldn't NOT get the programmes.
I'm currently listening to the "Comedy Controller" on BBC7, having watched a couple of news videos. It ain't broke - so I can't fix it :wink: .

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Hugo » Sat 11 Sep 2010 15:45 GMT

Love the BBC website for the radio streams, just wish the television programmes were available overseas!
Posted by:
Hugo

Postby Kay » Sat 11 Sep 2010 16:20 GMT

Yeah, I like to listen to some of the BBC radio programmes on the laptop while I'm in the kitchen.

As for the telly, we have about a hundred channels and nothing worth watching.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby BBFLBoy » Tue 16 Aug 2011 16:18 GMT

Your best bet is to use a VPN. Sites like BBC use cookies to detect your location, since UK licensing laws don't cover usage of these sites outside of the UK, that's why you can't watch anything abroad.
Posted by:
BBFLBoy

Return to Making the most of the Internet